A big Thank You!!

Hi,

I have to admit that this is the most impressive story I've ever read on a Ukuleleforum. Thanks for sharing. I hope my daughters will do this for me when I'm old and your father will enjoy building ukuleles for a veeeeery long time.

Greetings from Germany, Volker

-for a Christmas gift, I got dad (and my brother the cabinet maker) , a few engraved planes. In the boat shop we all used Stanley 60 1/2 low angles. I found a fellow on ebay selling used planes he had done up, and thought dad would like 'em.
I showed Dad, that some of you had made your own planes - and clamps, and dad said "I can do that!"
-then one of our neighbors, who knows dad likes wood, came over with this maple board he thought dad might like - :)

dads ukes 007.jpgdads ukes 012.jpgdads ukes 009.jpgdads ukes 013.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Guys!!!
-all these little tool ideas, and 'how to's' - I picked up off this forum over time, to give to dad, and try to aid him with his 'new' hobby.
- nothing seems to detour him - even making these little 'clothes pin' clamps -
- thank all of you luthiers out there - for the great ideas!! :) and thank you , Tom Guy, for making cigar box ukes, that gave dad the inspiration :)
Best Wishes & Happy Uke Building Everyone!
Ed dads ukes 015.jpg

Last edited:
Super Cool is not saying enough!!!Your Dad is a real Craftsman..Old School Spirit..Charge and Accomplish.. Very Inspiring, thank you for sharing and please thank him also..Casey

Hi Guys!
Well , dad is still at it! -:)o) , currently making a tenor for one of the grand kids - been on it the last three weeks or so.
So again - THANK YOU!!!!

Hi Guys, I am very sorry to report that my dad passed away on Friday, Sept 20th. He had just turned 90 on Aug 29th, and was enjoying building & using his little workshop off the kitchen until the end. He was working on making a folding pocket knife as his latest project, but wanted me to take over, learn to be a luthier and learn to build ukuleles, as you guys taught him, here via Luthiers Lounge. My Best Wishes to every one of you for openly sharing your knowledge. Ed Gilkison

Top Bottom