A big Thank You!!

Ed Gilkison

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
Just want to thank all the on-line luthiers here for being so open on uke building info, - really great of everyone.
About a year ago my dad suffered a heart attack on fathers day. He is in his eighties, but has been very active. As it is now difficult for him to get out to our big boat shop to do his hobbies - wood working, making custom knives, etc, my brother and I helped him enclose our back porch and make it into a little hobby room. I had got him a little lathe, and some 'pen kits' to make wood bodied pens. In a few days he had then figured out and was knocking them out every ten minutes!
But then - he saw me get a new Tom Guy cigar box uke for my collection- and said "I could build those" and he made a couple cigar box ukes!
Then wanting to go the next step to figure '8' bodys, made up a pipe to boil water and wood ' steam box, like we did in the boat business. After not going well, I got him a bending iron - now there is no stopping him!!
Last time I looked he had done a super Concert, two Baritones, a Tenor and a couple more Tenors on the way-
He hates computers, but I've been giving him pointers, and printing out pics and such from what you have posted that interests him.
so - THANK YOU all for giving my dad a new interest, and hobby - :)
Ed

Hi Guys!
Just want to thank all the on-line luthiers here for being so open on uke building info, - really great of everyone.

Me too , great info here.

Ed...thanks for your inspiring and uplifting post. What a gift you and your dad have given each other. Like the others, I would love to see some pictures of his work.

Last edited:
Ed, your dads got the touch. Pretty inspirational actually. Got to love it.

What a beautiful story Ed! It goes hand & hand with the beautiful work! Please keep us posted!

Top Bottom