Finger pressure

mr roper

Reaction score
I've only been playing uke for six months but I'm a long time guitar player. I just want to remind all the beginners to learn to go easy when pressing strings. Its so easy to push the low tension nylon strings out of tune ruining the sound of your chord.

I'm not ruining the chord... I'm *bending* it ;)

But yes, this is good advice. I find it difficult to achieve, because press too light and you risk buzzing/muting strings. Also, I find that you have to apply a bit more pressure when on the first fret (i.e. closer to the nut) than on the others. It'd be impossible to apply different pressures on different fingers depending on what chord you're playing.

... It'd be impossible to apply different pressures on different fingers depending on what chord you're playing.

Difficult, but not impossible.

Yeah, there's a fine line between too much and not enough. I have a feeling the great stringed instrument players can intuitively vary their string pressure. That's what makes them great players.

This would seem to be an appropriate place for my question. I've wanted to play ukulele for years, ever since I used to see them in the Sears Christmas Catalog when I was a kid. I'm going to try it now, but before I purchase I want to visit a music store in a larger city to try one out and see how physically difficult it is. I have moderate rheumatoid arthritis, and while there's little loss of mobility, I do have some loss of strength. I fooled aroung a bit with guitar and banjo in my wicked misspent youth and I remember sore finger tips from pressing string against fret. What say ye?

I fooled aroung a bit with guitar and banjo in my wicked misspent youth and I remember sore finger tips from pressing string against fret. What say ye?
After a couple of weeks the skin on your chord-making fingertips toughens up a bit. It's not muscle soreness from pressing strings, but more like the skin toughening up cause it's rubbing against the strings/frets.

You wouldn't have much to lose by buying a Dolphin (much recommended on this forum) as a starter uke to see how you like it. The trip to the music store with parking and fuel would probably cost the same ;)

Bear, My hands are pretty beat up from 36yrs of machining pump parts and I've got no trouble with ukulele. I struggle a little with guitar now but banjo isn't too bad. Get yourself a uke. Lots of chords using three or less fingers and the low string tension and fret spacing make it easy.

This would seem to be an appropriate place for my question. I've wanted to play ukulele for years, ever since I used to see them in the Sears Christmas Catalog when I was a kid. I'm going to try it now, but before I purchase I want to visit a music store in a larger city to try one out and see how physically difficult it is. I have moderate rheumatoid arthritis, and while there's little loss of mobility, I do have some loss of strength. I fooled aroung a bit with guitar and banjo in my wicked misspent youth and I remember sore finger tips from pressing string against fret. What say ye?

Buy a uke for a reputable dealer who does setups for free and not the big stores..Mim, Mainland, Uke Republic MGM, HMS etc....might cost more for shipping, but well makes up for the free setup
also get some low tension strings like Martin Fleurocarbon or worth for easy playability and comfort with your arthritis fingers... good luck and happy strummings..never to old to learn the uke..
you will have many years of fun and enjoyment.....
Also with lower tension strings it improves playability and comfort....for string pressure... and getting the action set right too...lower depends on your playing, preferences and style too...

Last edited:

Ukulele Clubs/Groups are springing up all over the world and seniors make a vast majority of participants.
Senior fingers and hands can be an issue, you may never be lightning fast, but with a little time you will be able to play some great tunes.
My experience is that after playing a while that hands and fingers begin to become more agile. Playing ukulele is low impact and can help with aging/injured hands.

I consider myself to have fairly weak fingers and always had trouble getting enough pressure to fret a guitar. *fail* But I'm finding even in my two short weeks of trying to play uke it's SO much easier. I can practice for an hour and there's no discomfort at all.

I say get one!!!

P.S. Ditto on what the others say about getting a good setup. I think it makes a HUGE amount of difference.

Last edited:
I'm finding that I really have to crank up the pressure on the strings when I'm doing a barre chord, otherwise I get one string muted. Like my-thumb-against-the-neck-can-barely-take-it pressure.

Does this make sense?

Jim B

Last edited:
Jim, barre chords are definitely more of a challenge but I assume we'll get better with practice. Still easier than on steel string guitar.

I'm finding that I really have to crank up the pressure on the strings when I'm doing a barre chord, otherwise I get one string muted. Like my-thumb-against-the-stock-can-barely-take-it pressure.

Does this make sense?

Jim B

This sounds like either a technique issue or a setup issue.
First the ukulele; if the action is too high than barre chords are difficult if not impossible.

Second technique; try just barring across all the strings with the index finger. (this is a X6 or Xm7 chord)
Move your hand to place the neck closer and farther from the "V" of thumb and index finger.
We all have different shaped fingers and you need to find the place you get nice string tones.
Make sure your thumb is on the back of the neck. You may also try rolling your hand so the barre is formed on different edges of your finger (if that makes sense).
Experimentation to find the sweet spot on your finger is the key. Depending on how meaty/boney or crooked/straight your fingers are make each of our techniques a little different.

I like having my students practice the 6 and m7 chords until they are comfortable and have four clear tones.
If you tune your high "A" down to "G" your open strings are a "C" chord. "F" is at the 5th and "G" at the 7th.
Another way to practice and build technique and hand strength for barre chords.

I have 2 Mainlands and a Flea. The Flea strings are very low and close to the frets. I find that they really don't require much pressure at all--even when I don't play for awhile, my fingers don't get sore. I haven't tried a Fluke yet. MY Flea is my go-to uke.

I'm sure in my case (barre chords) it's technique. Eventually I find the right position for my boney finger. And I can get four clear notes with just the barre finger but adding another finger at a higher fret throws everything off. Just have to keep practicing....

Thanks to all for the answers/suggestions. After reading them, I realize my question was about string tension, and it would seem I can handle it.But what is "set up?"

But what is "set up?"

When you buy from a reputable dealer that does set up, you will know that an expert has checked, adjusted, and possibly even repaired minor problems with your new ukulele. Here's a video.

I found a Diamondhead U-100 in town so I bought it just to get my hands on one. My fingers seem too fat to play chords without hitting other strings and muffling them. I've been following through Ukulele Pete's onine instructions, but I also have the word out in town to find help locally. There's one guy who works down the street and who plays fiddle and guitar, so I'll ht him up for advice. If I decide to stick with it, I'll invest in a better instrument but to my untrained ear this one sounds okay. I read a review online from a teacher who buys these for classes and said out of every 10, he returns 2 or 3, and has one with exceptional sound for a inexpensive uke. Maybe I got lucky? The music shop I bought from doesn't do set up, but they did stretch the strings and tune it for me. I seem to have a good ear and am able to tune it myself with no problem. I want to get a better set of strings, Aquila, I imagine from what I've been reading. Is there a difference between Nylgut and Bionylon?

Aloha Andy,
Slap some Martin strings M600 on there for lower string tension and a better tone....good luck and happy strummings
I know someone who bought alot of those diamond head ukes for gifts for his family..all you need is practice and patinece
in time you will get better with fngering and the strings...oh yeah, perserverence... glad the uke string spacing is not like a guitar
you will soon realize....get a bartione...ha ha
BTW Aquila are kind of high tension to me..:)

Top Bottom