Finger pressure

Okay, so I filed down all the fingernails on my left hand and I'm
playing chords on my fingertips instead of the pads, and can now play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star! I'm considering getting some leather-tanning chemicals formy fingertips. Come on, calluses.

Hey Andy, I found it only took a week or so of practicing an hour a day ( two 30 min sessions) for me to get the tips of my fingers tough enough.

I'm surprised with all the talk of Aquilas for beginner ukes that they are a higher tension string. Sounds like the Martins might be better to start with.

Jim B

Hey Andy, I found it only took a week or so of practicing an hour a day ( two 30 min sessions) for me to get the tips of my fingers tough enough.

I'm surprised with all the talk of Aquilas for beginner ukes that they are a higher tension string. Sounds like the Martins might be better to start with.

Jim B

Don't know what scale we're talking about here but in my experience Aquila's are actually much "softer" than the Martins - at least if we're talking about the M600 fluorocarbon Martins... I also have a Mainland tenor strung with Aquila's and another with Ko'Olau Gold nylon strings and the Aquila's are also the lighter of that pair.

John

The only strings I play are Aquilas, because I don't have that much strength or sensitivity in my fingers yet. I have a set of Martins on my soprano, but I can't find the gal I loaned it to... so I don't remember what they feel like. I like the way Aquilas feel under my fingers, sort of rough, but soft, so my fingers don't slip or hurt. My Kala feels like the action is perfect for me, pretty light, but no fret buzz. I only have to press hard when I bar chord. The more bar chords I play, the faster my hand gets tired, go figure...

A good way to develop calluses on the fretting fingers: take a piece of foam (thick), use the fretting fingers to push one finger at a time on this piece to excercize the fingers, it won't take long for your fingers to become stronger and develop calluses. Do this when you watch TV or riding in a car as a passenger.
I did this about 2 years ago when I first bought by acoustic guitar, after a few weeks i can play very comfortably, then I played mandolins, that help to keep the callusses there permanently. The uke strings do not have that much tension even the high tension ones.

Top Bottom