Hello From Kentucky

KyRedBear

Reaction score
Wannabe uke player from Horse Cave, KY. I've wanted to play since I was a kid and used to look at the ukes in the Sears Christmas catalog. I have mild (so far) rheumatoid arthritis so I hope I can handle it okay. There are a few music shops in Bowling Green, about 40 miles away, and I'm planning on driving down in a week or so to check out the ukes on hand. And when my income tax returns imo buy me present. I'm leaning towards pineapple, I think, or maybe a concert as the slightly larger size may be better for my fat fingers. Bluegrass is king around here, and every Thursday night we have Jammin' On The Porch, rotating between a few local businesses,open to all. Maybe I can sit in the back and strum along...but the night belongs to fiddle, guitar and mandolin. Pretty cool crowd, all ages are represented. My partner and I run a fine used book store here, mostly all first editions, lots of signed books and a heavy focus on cookbooks. We also offer book repair and conservation.
I've been doing lots of reading online, and I can't wait to get started.

Welcome! I've driven through Horse Cave. Neat little town.

Louisville's not much farther than Bowling Green, and I can't help but wonder if they'd have a better selection of ukes. But who knows...

Congrats on taking the ukulele plunge! :)

JJ

Welcome, Red Bear!
Are the concrete wigwams still available for overnights up thataway?
Now THAT would make a great uke video.

Yup, the Wigwam Village is still there. They're a little rundown, and I'd bring bedbug covers for the matress and pillows. The whole Mammoth Cave area is great, and there's a lot of good music here.

Welcome to the forum! I grew up in Morgantown, KY which is due west on the other side of Mammoth Cave Park.

Aloha Andy,
Welcome to UU and the forum. Ditto on the wide neck for your hands, should be easier for you..................BO............

Pono ukes are a little pricey for me, at least to start out with. I broke down and bought a cheapo Diamondhead U-100 just so I have something in my hands to try without making a major investment. It sounds good to me, and the only problem so far is that my fingers seem to be too fat to play chords without deadening/muffling the strings next to my fingers. I've been told that'll get better with practice, but right now I can play a C chord like nobody's business! ;o)

Lol! i love the c chord, c6 is nice too. :eek: I agree the Pono's are on my wish list. My good friend has the same issues with chords and his big fingers, but we found some "power chords" to get the same results. If IZ can do it so can anyone!

The Islander series by Kanilea also feature a wider neck (at least my Islander tenor does).

Welcome to the club. I know your area well. I'm in Lexington now, but my wife's family is all from the Munfordville KY area and we get back down there fairly often. In fact, when we were dating, she was the House Manager at the Horse Cave Theatre and her sister was a Can-Can dancer at Guntown Mtn. Small world. You should try to make it up to the Ukulele World Congress festival in June in Nashville IN. It's not too far north of Louisville.

Looks great. You can't go wrong with anything Tom Guy at Bluegrass Ukes builds. Interesting headstock on that one too. Not their normal style. Very Fluke-like.

I've got a Tom Guy cigarbox tenor and a Tom Guy walnut tenor and really like them both. The cigarbox has an unbelievable huge sound and rich tone. You can't go wrong with any Blugrass Uke.

Welcome from "Louavull", too! I didn't know that Nashville, IN hosts the Ukulele World Congress! When are the dates for that!?I went through Nashville, IN all the time when I was at IU.

Uwc 2012

Welcome from "Louavull", too! I didn't know that Nashville, IN hosts the Ukulele World Congress! When are the dates for that!?I went through Nashville, IN all the time when I was at IU.

Dates are the weekend of JUNE 1st-2nd 2012.
Officially it's in Needmore (Brown County) IN, but thats just about 10 miles from Nashville Indiana off HWY45 at @ 4600 Plum Creek Rd.
Most things happen Friday night and until the early hours of the morning on Sunday, but people have been known to come earlier and stay later. The festival is free, camping is free (rustic, in a field, porta johns provided) hotels, cabins, etc, are available from surrounding providers. Mike usually opens up the Mainland Ukes shop in Nashville for a few hours during the day on Sat and Sun for folks who want to try and buy too. It's a blast! Come if you can!

Your going to love it. Sounds and plays great. I met Tom Guy Jr at Christmas and bought the walnut tenor from him. He's a truly nice person.
I bought the concert cigarbox uke from Bluegrass Ukes! It should be in my hot hands by Tuesday.

Top Bottom