Four Different Kinds of Myrtle

aaronckeim

Reaction score
Following up on our last myrtle thread, I though I would share some photos of the diversity of myrtle we have on hand. The really stripey stuff is the same board we used for the Eddie Vedder uke, which we have all set aside for signature models.

The frog's hair is as I mentioned last week, super tight curl.

The curly soprano is one piece top and one piece back.

The plain myrtle is, well, plain myrtle. Economical, easy to work with, darkens over time, and local to us. IMG_1350.jpgIMG_1351.jpgIMG_1352.jpgIMG_1353.jpg

Hi! Aaron,
thank you for posting these pictures.
I have been thinking about asking you this question about those bridge clamps you guys use. Sorry, it is not about the Myrtle wood.

I also have a few of those and I found that they are not very stiff at all. Therefore, I was not sure whether these clamps can provide enough clamping pressure.
I guess for string through type of bridges, these clamps work ok.

From your experience, do these clamps provide enough clamping pressure for the tie style or knot style bridges? Have you encountered any problem using those?
Thanks a lot..

JC

We are up to 700 ukes with only one or two bridges popping off. A good joint needs very little glue and not as much pressure as most people think. Those four clamps working together are usually enough without extra help. You see a small piece of mdf on that one to help spread the pressure, I often don't even need that. Sometimes I add one more stiffer clamp if I have a problem area or a couple more cauls on the wings. I think it helps that our tops are flat in that area and not domed, so the joint is simple and the clamping isn't difficult.

I think many new builders over clamp and starve joints, which results in failure.

I'd love to have one of the EV signature models. How many ukes do you think you can make with the amount of wood you have set aside from that board? Is the really stripey myrtle rare?

Loving my striped myrtle tenor! I read somewhere that myrtle "soaks" up minerals in the soil that give the wood it's coloring. Do you have any insight on this?

Nate- I think we have 10 more sets from the Eddie Vedder board.

Ryanvt- I have never heard that but it sounds cool!

We are up to 700 ukes with only one or two bridges popping off. A good joint needs very little glue and not as much pressure as most people think. Those four clamps working together are usually enough without extra help. You see a small piece of mdf on that one to help spread the pressure, I often don't even need that. Sometimes I add one more stiffer clamp if I have a problem area or a couple more cauls on the wings. I think it helps that our tops are flat in that area and not domed, so the joint is simple and the clamping isn't difficult.

I think many new builders over clamp and starve joints, which results in failure.

I haven't finished that many ukes yet, but they all have rubbed joints, bridge to top. No clamps. No failures so far and I don't expect any. I tape off the bridge before gluing, so there's only a CH of room to rub. Never tried this with other instruments, I just haven't found any soprano-sized clamps yet.

I found where I read about the minerals... I was excited to read this because I like to think that music can be us humans way of bringing out more of the beauties and wonders of nature.

http://www.realoregongift.com/Myrtle_Tree_Story/myrtle_tree_story.html

Minerals drawn up from the soil color the wood. The struggle or stress during the growth of the tree causes the figurations. Many grain patterns appear in myrtle: burls, tiger-stripe, fiddleback, quilt, inkline, and flame grain. It is as if nature had combined our abundant rainfall and the acid soil to form a rainbow in the heart of this unique tree. It often forms a design. With a little imagination one can see animals, ocean scenes, mountains, or rivers. If you are lucky enough to find a piece with a pink or orange streak, you may even see a sunset.

Nate- I think we have 10 more sets from the Eddie Vedder board.

Ryanvt- I have never heard that but it sounds cool!

When you say from a board, what does that look like? Is it like a block that has been sliced into thin pieces?

Yes, Ryan- We usually get boards that are then sliced into slices and book matched to make sets. Once a board is gone, it can be difficult to find one that matches.

Top Bottom