Uke Lesson 10 - Breakdown

Hey UUers! This months episode of UKE LESSONS goes a little something like this ... "BREAKDOWN"! (by Jack Johnson)

Take a look, try it out, and tell us what you think!! If you have any questions, ideas, alternatives, new techniques, etc. - Post them here!

Awesome lesson! Love this song. The last second was classic. :biglaugh:

Mahalo

To funny this is the song we were working on at my lesson tonight, we are going to play it for the school the last night of my Uke 2 class!!!!

here is the ending picking tab from the lesson as Aldrine told it.(if I followed correctly)
Thanks Aldrine & Crew my class needed the ending tabs!!!!!

Code:
A---3-0---------------3-0------------3s5s3---7-5-3-3s5s3---7-5-3-3-
E---0--3---3----------0--3---3-------3s5s3-3-8-5-3-3s5s3-3-8-5-3-0-
C-0-0---2s4-4s2-p2--0-0---2s4-4s2-p2-------4-------------4-------0-
G---0-----------------0------------------------------------------0-

s-slide
p-pull off

Last edited:
what a great lesson. and great job last night with the live lesson. can't wait to get this song down.

thanks again Aldrine and UU, I can't wait to get to the house and give this a few licks on the uke.:music:

i remember learning this song from dom's tabs. i'm not sure if they're the same or not and it takes too long to stream the lesson for me (i think my internet is capping our bandwidth or something else is just sucking it up).

sounds heaps good, Doms version sounds great aswell

i learn better when somebody shows me what to do ;)

Fantastic lesson, Thanks all. Finally a lesson I could do all of it at near speed by the second time through. But I do have some of the slow learner questions. Now I've got all the pieces but haven't the foggiest how to put it together.

How do I know when to use the chords vs the picking? It seems like there was only the one place in the song for the bridge pattern (starts with I wanna break on down, but I can't stop now....) and I could only figure out that there was the picking session right after that where the lyrics begin with (But you can't stop nothing)

My old guitar teacher used to tell me that there's music in me just waiting to get out, and he knows it because it hasn't come out yet. :) as much as I love this stuff, someday I know an epiphany will happen and it will all make sense.

This was one of the first songs that i learnd and i gota say, this vid is sweet, good job. dig the very end to supa funny:D.

P.S

where da signature hat :eek:!?!?!?

How do I know when to use the chords vs the picking?

Hey the best advice I can come up with is to listen to Jack Johnson's original song. That's what I did and it makes more sense now. I think on the video the picking was overlayed on top of the chord sections.

Upsky's right about the overlay on the CD or its 2 ukes playin. When I saw his show he was the only Uke player, he did the pickin and strummin when he wasn't pickin and the Guitar did all the strummin parts. (it's my favorite JJ song)

Not to be an expert....

Intro is pick and strum
Verse is pick and strum
Chorus is strum only
Repeat Intro pick and strum
Verse pick and strum
Chorus strum
Bridge is strum only

Then here is where it gets tricky

The Verse starts "But you...." that part is strummed like the Brigde,
Then "Can't stop nothing..." is the picking only part
Then I goes to strum and pick at "Can't stop wishing....."

Chorus is strum only

The the "I want to break on down... but I cant stop now..." is pick and strum

Then that sweet ending that Aldrine showed us or use Dom's it just as sweet only a little harder to me.

I listened to this like a 1000 times to figure it out for my Uke 2 class.

Some day I'll sit and chord and strum pattren it out like I did for my UU Chunk song.

Hope this helps.

Is that G chord really right? A Gsus2? When I play it it sounds weird - it sounds much better as a regular G. But in the lesson video it sounds okay.

Greg

Is that G chord really right? A Gsus2? When I play it it sounds weird - it sounds much better as a regular G. But in the lesson video it sounds okay.

Greg

i roll with the Gsus2 sounds clean as hell on my uke!

Top Bottom