Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginners Ukulele?

Question Beginners Ukulele?

Hello everyone, I've been thinking about learning to play the ukulele for a few months now and they more I think about it, the more encouraged I get. What's a good starter ukulele? I've been looking around ebay, but don't know what I should get? I saw the Mitchell MU70 at guitar center for $100 bucks! Is mitchell any good? It's a 12 fret ukulele! Is having a 18 fret ukulele better than a 12? I currently play the vihuela...thanks for any help...

Miguel..

18 is definately better even if your just starting. try looking online for a Kala. they're cheap and are a relatively good brand. perfect for a beginner.

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    18 is definately better even if your just starting. try looking online for a Kala. they're cheap and are a relatively good brand. perfect for a beginner.
    So you are saying I shouldn't go with the mitchell 12 fret one?
    Go Cowboys!

Quote Originally Posted by Landon View Post
    I agree, because when you get good you'll end up needing those extra frets. Plus your saving yourself some time.
    Twitter
    Youtube
    Ukes:
    Taira (Lanikai LU-21TE/BK) [Signed and Enjoying]

Cool

Aloha,

Just wanted to add my 5cents.
    You know, I am a beginer too.
    I have only been playing the Ukulele for 2 years now.
    My first Ukulele, I got off ebay for $22 shipping included ( crap, I know... )
    I learned alot on the little guy, but as I got better I found myself limitted by only having 12 frets ( it was a soprano, obviously )
    My wife got me a Kala Koa Tenor for my birthday last year ( thanks honey ), and it is MUCH better.
    The whole thing cost like $280.00 for the Ukulele, a hard foam case, taxes, and shipping to Texas.
    So, you wouldn't have to save long to be able to get it.
    Not like a Kamaka, ( really good brand ) where the tenor is like $1200.00 I think.
    Now, even though I am still a beginer, ( wanna be able to play like braddah IZ someday ) I am able to learn more, because I am not limited.
    I don't know your age, but most grownups find the tenor size the most comfortable ( I sure do ).
    So, to make a long story even longer
    I think that a tenor, or atleast a concert would be the best thing to start learning on, so you will be able to enjoy it longer, without having that frustration about wanting to advance, but being held back by a short fretboard.
    I hope this helps make your decision easier.
    Aloha,
    Acabooe

Most people Learn how to play ukulele on a soprano ukulele becuase they are the easiest to find at a guitar or music store. I started playing a soprano ukulele from kala (I think? haha) then when I wanted to get a better and nicer sounding uke, I got my Lanikai Tenor uke. My Lanikai uke has inlaid abalone shell, a pick-up, rosewood fretboard, and its a full body curly koa design. I would go with the Tenor ukulele for a begginner. I think it sounds much nicer and fuller, than any other uke, and I really love the size of them. Its perfect for me. Go with a tenor uke becuase if you get a soprano uke you will want to get another one if you are into it and I think a Tenor uke, would be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.6 Love View Post
    So you are saying I shouldn't go with the mitchell 12 fret one?
    to answer your question yes. i would get the cheapest tenor you can find.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...ele?sku=512522

I just got a Lanikai LU21T Tenor just the other day. I am loving it so much. Started w/ a cheapy soprano. Definitely go w/ a tenor.

It's kind of weird. Tenors are the big thing now I guess because of Jake. Back when me and Aldrine started playing, the Concert Size was the big thing.
    Rayan, What you are doing?

I give up with my PM box, just email ryan(at)ukuleleunderground.com

YES Mahaloz!

I think I'm gonna go with a concert size...I don't think I'll be needing a 18 fret uke anytime soon...once I learn I'll get one..
    Go Cowboys!

Thread Information