Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ...will New Strings make a difference on a cheapie.....??

Default ...will New Strings make a difference on a cheapie.....??

Hi, I have a Hilo $50 Soprano as a first ukulele....I still have the original strings on it although it is not all that old at least in usuage...would it sound better if a put new strings on it or would I just be wasting my money? another silly question from a newby. Tks, Duane.

New strings can make a huge difference.

For a Soprano like yours, i'd look at Aquila strings or SouthCoast lights. Aquila's you might be able to pick up at a local store (now, I do see that you're in New Brunswick...so maybe there's a store in Fredericton...?). You might have to pay the ridiculous shipping and get a few sets from Elderly Music.

Or contact Dirk at SouthCoast Ukes and order some of his strings. He's given me very reasonable shipping rates to Ontario (like $2-5 for several sets of strings).

Maybe there's a store in Halifax that carries good strings....I dunno.
    MP Redwood/Koa Tenor with SouthCoast Heavies (tuned FBbDG), Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor with SouthCoast Mediums, Lute-kulele with Worth Browns, Mahalo "Les Paul"

I think you should get aquila's, it'd sound better

Aquilas took my unplayable Dolphin to playable. Yeah, I think it makes a huge difference.
    Ukes: Mainland mahogany tenor, Eleuke Tenor Solid Cutaway Sunburst
    Guitars: Yamaha GS-90, Marcario flamenco negra, Cordoba Protege 3/4

Dirk at Southcoast ships strings to Canada for no charge. For first order, no charge for one set, after that you must order 3 sets for free shipping. (Elderly is $10 shipping for one set)

Yep, Dirk is the best.

I put some SouthCoasts on a Grizzly kit built laminate and it sounded fantastic.
    MP Redwood/Koa Tenor with SouthCoast Heavies (tuned FBbDG), Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor with SouthCoast Mediums, Lute-kulele with Worth Browns, Mahalo "Les Paul"

I got a Hilo for my nieces his christmas. Aquilla's made a big difference. If you are adventurous you might consider working on the saddle and nut to help make it more playable.

What size would I order as a normal set of strings....you all says "acquilla" strings are the best.....is Acquilla Strings all that South Coast sells? Sorry for being so green at this but, well, I just don't know and want to order the right thing, so, what exactly would you call them if you were order strings for my Hilo Soprano. Thank you, Duane.

Aquila's are an Italian brand (I believe). They make several different varieties as well as sizes (Nylgut, real Gut, Bionylon, soprano, concert, tenor, high and low g). If you want to get Aquila's for your Soprano, you'd want to get Soprano size, high g, Nylgut strings.

http://elderly.com/accessories/names...-set--ANSR.htm

SouthCoast is a different brand than Aquila. You'd want to get SouthCoast Lights.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/string...iles/ltuke.htm

Aquila 4U Nygut Soprano are what I got on my Hilo. They are probably the most common in local music stores. Here is Elderly's web page:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ANSR.htm

call your local music shop, they may have them so you won't have to pay for shipping.

Thread Information