...will New Strings make a difference on a cheapie.....??

Duane

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Hilo $50 Soprano as a first ukulele....I still have the original strings on it although it is not all that old at least in usuage...would it sound better if a put new strings on it or would I just be wasting my money? another silly question from a newby. Tks, Duane.

New strings can make a huge difference.

For a Soprano like yours, i'd look at Aquila strings or SouthCoast lights. Aquila's you might be able to pick up at a local store (now, I do see that you're in New Brunswick...so maybe there's a store in Fredericton...?). You might have to pay the ridiculous shipping and get a few sets from Elderly Music.

Or contact Dirk at SouthCoast Ukes and order some of his strings. He's given me very reasonable shipping rates to Ontario (like $2-5 for several sets of strings).

Maybe there's a store in Halifax that carries good strings....I dunno.

Aquilas took my unplayable Dolphin to playable. Yeah, I think it makes a huge difference.

Dirk at Southcoast ships strings to Canada for no charge. For first order, no charge for one set, after that you must order 3 sets for free shipping. (Elderly is $10 shipping for one set)

I got a Hilo for my nieces his christmas. Aquilla's made a big difference. If you are adventurous you might consider working on the saddle and nut to help make it more playable.

What size would I order as a normal set of strings....you all says "acquilla" strings are the best.....is Acquilla Strings all that South Coast sells? Sorry for being so green at this but, well, I just don't know and want to order the right thing, so, what exactly would you call them if you were order strings for my Hilo Soprano. Thank you, Duane.

i HAVE A Stagg U-60 that si about an $80 uke, and it was lousy until I out Worth Clears on it. WOw, what a difference! I previously used Aquilas, but now it's all Worth of Fremonts for me.

CHeers!

I have a set of black strings called GHS Original Hawaiian Ukulele Stings for Standard or Concert Set No. H-10....anyone ever heard tell of these? I guess what I am asking is are a pretty good string, as I can get them "almost" locally...tks, Duane

I agree with all of the above. Whilst string choice is often personal, it's hard to look past Aquilas on a cheapie - they just seem to have more power to drive the laminated tops and enhance volume and tone.

I have a set of black strings called GHS Original Hawaiian Ukulele Stings for Standard or Concert Set No. H-10....anyone ever heard tell of these? I guess what I am asking is are a pretty good string, as I can get them "almost" locally...tks, Duane

I think these are the strings that come on a lot of cheap ukes that people suggest switching to Aquilas.

Jim B

Aquilas but they take a while to settle in. You bear a remarkable resemblance to dear George Harrison.

Aquilas but they take a while to settle in. You bear a remarkable resemblance to dear George Harrison.

Love the Beatles.....if you get a chance there is a 2-part documentary out on George that I had opportunity to watch (twice) recently....so good. The title(s) escape me but it is directed by Martin Scorcasie (spelling). Just saying.....

I think these are the strings that come on a lot of cheap ukes that people suggest switching to Aquilas.

Jim B

....you are right, Jim. I checked further online. Sorry for feeble questions but when you don't know.....well.....but I really like these little ukulele's and quite possibly I may buy a better one this weekend. I enquired and they have some goodies in stock 45 minutes away.....cheers, Duane

Love the Beatles.....if you get a chance there is a 2-part documentary out on George that I had opportunity to watch (twice) recently....so good. The title(s) escape me but it is directed by Martin Scorcasie (spelling). Just saying.....
It's called Living in a Material World. George was my favourite Beatle

Top Bottom