Tenor Strings -- Worth CH or CT

Goats Can Eat Anything

Reaction score
I have a Collings UT1 and it currently has Aquilas on it. I think I can get a lot more out the uke with different strings -- I'm thinking Worths.

But the question is what size?

Should I order the CT's (the regular gauge) or CH's (the heavy gauge)?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I use the regular CT strings. This is fine for me. It also enables me to easily tune up to D tuning if I need to.

Thanks! Is the CT a pretty standard gauge? I.E. if I swap them onto the uke, should they affect the setup? Unfortunately, Collings does not have their uke string gauges online.

Indeedy, the Worth CT string set is pretty standard gauge.
If you like Low-G, you'll want to try CT-LG -- THAT fourth string will likely require some adjustment for its extra width if you decide to keep them.

You won't have to change anything.

So Collings wrote back and said that they use G - .027, C - .036, E - .030, and A - .0245. Those are pretty big, just as they feel!

Worth CT's are (same order) .0244, .0291, .0260, and .0224. In my steel string guitar player mind, that seems quite drastic a change. I have my guitars dialed in very specifically to strings.

The CH's are .0260, .0319, .0291, and .0224 -- this is a little closer to the Aquilas in size. But I think I'm overestimating the extent to which tension factors into set up. With a uke pulling (IIRC) about 50lbs across all strings and a six string acoustic pulling 170lbs, the effect of tension is probably overstated in my mind. The only concern I have is introducing buzz and it sounds as though I shouldn't worry. In addition, nylgut and flurocarbon are different materials and I've heard that, millimeter for millimeter, the fluorocarbon creates more tension. All of this in mind, I think I will just do what all of you wise UUers have suggested and get the damn CT's already! It sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Sorry for the newbie questions! I really do appreciate the advice.

This all makes sense, right? If I'm being an idiot, please let me know!

Thanks!

Last edited:
[/I]

I am almost sure I'd get some members upset but I have normal tension classical guitar strings on mine and tuned to Low G. I love the deep mellow sound they produce from my tenor. The main reason is that I have a lot of the Pro Artes strings that I have to make use of them somehow. I use high tension strings on my guitars.

Just my two cents worth.......

I think the CTLGs that I have on my tenor are probably as hard tensionwise as I'd want to go. They feel great and aren't too slinky, and they sound a little mellower which balances the uke a bit more. Plus, Low G unwound is the way to go for low g.

This is some good advice!

I try not to over-think.

Thanks for all of the thoughts on this. Last night I ordered a set of the CT's and I'm going to give them a shot. It seems that just about everywhere I look, people say nice things about them. I'm a big fan of Elderly, so getting up to the $49 free shipping threshold was easy. Off topic, but to all of you steel string players (acoustic, electric, mandolin, banjo, etc.), if you haven't tried John Pearse strings yet, you haven't lived. Their 80/20 bronze sounds good on every guitar on which I've put them. They also have some great gauges between light and medium (New Medium is my favorite). I use them on all of my guitars and my mandolin. Good people too, and that matters to me.

I'll email Dirk at Southcoast. I must try something after the Worths! Then maybe Freemonts?

Thanks again!

Worth Brown Fat tenor strings .

I use this string on everything including non-tenor ukes except for my resonator .

I'm thinking you'll love them . At first installation you'll think you blew it until they stretch out . Once stretdhed out , I'm thinking you wish you could keep it a secret to which strings you're using to get you uke to sound so AMAZING !

Just my input . But if you really don't like the Worth Brown Fat tenor string , I'd be shocked !

p.s. I went from the Freemonts to the Worth Brown Fat tenors with GREAT SUCCESS AND DELIGHT ! But I do have one uke I use the Freemont Balcklines on that suit that uke just perfect .

Last edited:
Chuck
put the Worth CH (Low-G) to my Moore Bettah Tenor
Really love the tone . . . .

MoU5c.jpg

Top Bottom