Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tenor Strings -- Worth CH or CT

Default Tenor Strings -- Worth CH or CT

I have a Collings UT1 and it currently has Aquilas on it. I think I can get a lot more out the uke with different strings -- I'm thinking Worths.

But the question is what size?

Should I order the CT's (the regular gauge) or CH's (the heavy gauge)?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

I use the regular CT strings. This is fine for me. It also enables me to easily tune up to D tuning if I need to.
    KEN

Ken Middleton Ukulele

http://www.KenMiddleton.co.uk

For Living Water Strings go to http://www.kenmiddleton.co.uk/Pages/LWS.aspx

For Ohana related comments, observations and questions, email me at ken@ohana-music.com

Remember: a ukulele is forever.

I concur with Ken.

Thanks! Is the CT a pretty standard gauge? I.E. if I swap them onto the uke, should they affect the setup? Unfortunately, Collings does not have their uke string gauges online.

Indeedy, the Worth CT string set is pretty standard gauge.
    If you like Low-G, you'll want to try CT-LG -- THAT fourth string will likely require some adjustment for its extra width if you decide to keep them.
    Me so ho'kie ...
    Poppa lot'ta skittles!

You won't have to change anything.

So Collings wrote back and said that they use G - .027, C - .036, E - .030, and A - .0245. Those are pretty big, just as they feel!

Worth CT's are (same order) .0244, .0291, .0260, and .0224. In my steel string guitar player mind, that seems quite drastic a change. I have my guitars dialed in very specifically to strings.

The CH's are .0260, .0319, .0291, and .0224 -- this is a little closer to the Aquilas in size. But I think I'm overestimating the extent to which tension factors into set up. With a uke pulling (IIRC) about 50lbs across all strings and a six string acoustic pulling 170lbs, the effect of tension is probably overstated in my mind. The only concern I have is introducing buzz and it sounds as though I shouldn't worry. In addition, nylgut and flurocarbon are different materials and I've heard that, millimeter for millimeter, the fluorocarbon creates more tension. All of this in mind, I think I will just do what all of you wise UUers have suggested and get the damn CT's already! It sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Sorry for the newbie questions! I really do appreciate the advice.

This all makes sense, right? If I'm being an idiot, please let me know!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Goats Can Eat Anything; 02-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.

I use the Worth CH heavy tension low and high G on my ukes. They don't feel as floppy and thin as the regular CT clears to me.

I like the regulars.

But- I would highly recommend Southcoast Ukulele Strings

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide.htm

Great feel and balance

[/I]

I am almost sure I'd get some members upset but I have normal tension classical guitar strings on mine and tuned to Low G. I love the deep mellow sound they produce from my tenor. The main reason is that I have a lot of the Pro Artes strings that I have to make use of them somehow. I use high tension strings on my guitars.

Just my two cents worth.......

Thread Information