Strings For Fingerpickin' ?

rowjimmytour

Reaction score
I have a KA-S w/ 14 month old aquila strings that I think might need changing. To my ear the aquila sound good for strumming but not so good for finger picking. Now keep in my mind this is my first uke and first set of strings and I most likely need to practice finger picking more. Please recommend a good sounding string for finger picking yet still has nice volume but more important sustain for strumming. Thanks.

I am less than one week old on ukulele but have played guitars / mandolins. At first, my strumming on ukulele does not sound that good, but with some practice it sounds a lot better. Of course, the strings are important and I think you may want to choose the strings for strumming if this is what you do the most, or the kind of strings you like for finger picking if that's what I do mostly. Then practice the other technique on the chosen strings.
For example, if you choose finger picking strings (!!! I have no idea yet) to fit your ears, then practice strumming on it until it sounds good.
I have seen on youtube other people mixing strumming and finger picking and it always sound good. So good instrument + good string and practice will make it happens.

Alright maybe I should rephrase and say I am looking to try a new brand of strings that sound good fingering and strumming a laminate soprano uke.

It really depends on the instrument itself. Different strings sound good on different ukes depending on your own particular preference. It's going to take some experimenting on your part to determine what does sound good to you. (and practice as you've already noted. The sound will improve with you)

Personally, I'm less enthralled with Aquilas than most. They're very bright, though they can lively up the sound of cheaper laminates.
My personal default strings seem to be Worth clears, but they may not have the same volume for you on a laminate.
I've also got Fremont Blacklines on a Kelii soprano and found that I do not care for Ko'olau Mahanas on a Koaloha concert. But Worth Browns shine on the Casanova. It's trial and error.

This is Worth medium clears on a Pono PK2-S-E. It's a bit heavier built and might give you some idea of the sound possibilities. (Plus the strings are a little looser than I normally prefer for finger picking.)

Ewe-bunctious

Check out the string listings here, won't give you recommendations, just general info. As mentioned in the previous post, it really comes down to a personal choice.

Depends on your own ears and style, but on laminate ukes, Aquilas are renowned for getting more tone and volume out of them. I'd try those first, but don't be afraid to experiment. Strings are cheap.

I have worth clears on a laminate, and I like the sound better than the Aquilas on it~ a matter of taste.

You may want to try Southcoast strings---balanced, loud, and good sustain. I like the "light" set best on a soprano.

Depends on your own ears and style, but on laminate ukes, Aquilas are renowned for getting more tone and volume out of them. I'd try those first, but don't be afraid to experiment. Strings are cheap.
i think he said he already has aquilas on the uke....

Top Bottom