Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kamoa bass uke

Anyone know what strings come on this bass?

^^^
    Nickel flatwounds, like the classic bass guitars of the 60's.
    http://ubassappreciation.wordpress.c...w-kid-in-town/

The horse may be dead, but I'm going to say it again.
    This isn't a bass.
    It's either a piccolo bass or the bottom 2/3rds of a guitar.
    I have more ukes than I need, but not as many as I want.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleR View Post
    Held up very nice against three acoustic guitars and singers. This is a real neat addition to the uke bass family!
    And of course I had a hard strummer to keep up with last night. If you have someone who can play the guitar nicely, the bass baritone keeps up just fine. If you get paired up with a drummer/ guitar/ hero...the sound is just lost. Still, it is a pretty, full sound...totally different than a guitar. uBass comes out next week for the session!
    Bay View, WI

Quote Originally Posted by ~dave~~wave~ View Post
    The horse may be dead, but I'm going to say it again.This isn't a bass. It's either a piccolo bass or the bottom 2/3rds of a guitar.
    I think this is an important point to get across. Calling it a bass is misleading. I assumed it was tuned like the U-Bass until I saw the demonstration video.

- Steve

I tried out a "bass" Kamoa at the store in Kaua'i last week and I just played regular chords with it and it sounded really good. Sam just gave it to me to try not plugged in so I could walk around. I was wondering if someone is already playing a bass role in Jam get togethers with a U Bass can the Kamoa just be played like you would another ukulele? I should have asked while I was in the store but I was too busy looking and trying everything else. I loved the sound and the strings were so easy to play.

I have logged many miles on the UBass. If anybody needs info or recommendations, PM me.

This is Not a bass.

A UBass, on the other hand, IS a real bass. That can do - anything.

Anyone here exploring the UBass world - do yourself a favor, throw the stock strings in the garbage, and
    get some Aquila Thunderguts or Silver Rumblers. You'll thank me later. An unbelievable combination.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I don't want a true bass, I just want a deeper sounding ukulele. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by UkeKiddinMe View Post
    I have logged many miles on the UBass. If anybody needs info or recommendations, PM me.

This is Not a bass.

A UBass, on the other hand, IS a real bass. That can do - anything.

Anyone here exploring the UBass world - do yourself a favor, throw the stock strings in the garbage, and
    get some Aquila Thunderguts or Silver Rumblers. You'll thank me later. An unbelievable combination.
    I'm primarily a bass player, and I think the Kamoa fills a need - it's a bass instrument relative to standard uke tuning.

Also, I happen to like the stock Pahoehoe strings, and so do most other UBass players. By all means experiment with different strings, but your comment is a little simplistic.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Also, I happen to like the stock Pahoehoe strings, and so do most other UBass players. By all means experiment with different strings, but your comment is a little simplistic.
    I was just offering encouragement to try the other alternatives. Yes, many people like the stocks. Usually those people, though, don't know about
    the alternatives yet. The Aquila strings reach stability in a fraction of the time of the stocks, and they don't take a wrestling match
    to put them on. A whole lot of people who try the Aquilas never go back to the stocks.

It is nice to have string options for the Ubass, I agree!

Thread Information