Anyone got the Kala Ka sstu tep travel uke?

UK Paulie

Reaction score
I'm on the verge of making it my first tenor purchase and its solid spruce top is a major selling point for me. I was a bit worried about the tone and volume though, given the ultra thin body and so was considering the Ka teme exotic mahogany instead. I know that one is a laminate but I though the sound might be 'fuller' Does anyone have or have experience with either of these two?

Thanks guys, in advance

Lanikai LU11 soprano, Oscar Schmidt OU2E concert.

I've played the Kala travel uke in a store. The volume is amazing for the size. It sounds really great. The store owner said the only problem with them is that he's seen a couple come back with the neck broken off the body. They're thin so a good bump or drop can bust it. Still, it's a really nice sounding uke so just be extra careful if you get it.
I own the concert version of the exotic mahogany Kala. I like it a lot although the intonation isn't great up the neck. It's an inexpensive uke though, so I think that's something you sort of have to live with at that price point... Intonation aside, the tone and volume is really nice - better than some solids I played. They know how to put together a good laminate.
I would say though that the travel spruce top might even be louder than the exotic mahogany laminate - Hard to remember for sure, but I guess my point is that I had no problem with the sound coming out of the little travel uke.

Sound from them amazing....considering. I'm holding out for the new Kala Golden Acacia travel uke....solid acacia top, laminated acacia sides and back. Looks gorgeous! Waiting on their resonator too. Kicking myself by not getting the solid lacewood trave uke before they were discontinued.

Top Bottom