Hello from China

gastlygem

Reaction score
Hello Forum,

First a little bit about my self: Native Chinese, 30, came to work at Shanghai last August, one year ukeling and becoming enthusiastic.

You know how it's like if you're a uke fan but you're stranded in mainland China. Cheap ukes are easy to find, but if you want to upgrade your instrument then you're out of luck.

Now I own two ukes, one is a $50 Mahalo Soprano, which is not bad actually, the other is a $100 Aroha Tenor, which is barely playable -- The strings are hard on fingers, and the frets are positioned in an inconvenient way. I haven't learned these until yesterday though, that's when I came by a guitar shop, astonishingly, I found half of the instruments on the wall are ukuleles, everything from standard to exotic cigarbox, pear-shaped, and electric ukes. I am dazzled!

A quick look through reveals that they sell mainly two brands, the cheap China made Lankais, and the $200 to $300 Aosdin ukes. Aosdin? Never heard of it, but the ukes operates and sounds definitely better than my own. The shop owner says it's a Taiwan manufacturer who originally makes guitars. Then I looked through the intertube but couldn't even find its homepage, and it turns out that it's only sold in mainland China. To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

I've been following Aldrine's video tutorials for some time and here's my first post in the forum. Maybe I can ask some of you to bring me an uke if you come to China? Haha, I'm only joking, but, really... :eek:

Cheers,
Joel (Yes, every literate Chinese has an English name :D)

Welcome to Ukulele Underground, Joel. I don't know if we have anyone from China!

If the strings are hard work, are you sure you couldn't improve their action by filing the nut and saddle down? If you take it to the guitar shop, they might be able to make it much more playable.

Failing that, there are some good videos about setup on Youtube.

Ni-hou, Joel! Shanghai is my favorite city in China. (Incredible tea, great sightseeing.)

That's an interesting problem to have, an abundance of cheap instruments and no special ones, but possibly you could find a luthier, as there are a number of traditional Chinese instruments that require a luthier and if I'm not mistake, the Western violin is hugely popular in China among many serious musicians. Perhaps a luthier can or has already made a serious ukulele.

Meanwhile, welcome and have fun here!

Welcome to the UU. I liked Shanghai. Went for the first time during a 3wk tour through mainland China. It was the last stop on my trip and I wish I could have spent more time exploring it. Didn't get to go to the Expo, the lines where way too long for tickets but then later found out that a coworker had gov't contacts that could have gotten us VIP access!! ARGH! :(

Hi Chris. Already done that, by myself. It became better than before but still worse than those I tried on. I think I'll go to get one of the Aosdins some other day.

Welcome to Ukulele Underground, Joel. I don't know if we have anyone from China!

If the strings are hard work, are you sure you couldn't improve their action by filing the nut and saddle down? If you take it to the guitar shop, they might be able to make it much more playable.

Failing that, there are some good videos about setup on Youtube.

Welcome to UU. Since you're in Shanghai, if you want to find a good uke sourcer(vendor) you could probably try some places in Hong Kong too.
Never heard about Aosdin so I am not even sure it is from Taiwan. One brand from Taiwan for sure is Koyama ukulele, but I doubt they have any reseller in China. Maybe they do. Good luck for your searching.

Hey Joel,

I've experienced the same thing here in Tianjin. Lots and lots of cheap instruments. Have you checked taobao.com? I know you can get a variety of brands of ukes there like Anuenue, Kala, Risa, and Lanikai as a lot of these brands are manufactured here and exported. I've never purchased one there myself, but they're available.

Of course if you do want some one to bring you one from Hawai'i I'd be happy to when I go back in August of 2013...

王长城

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum!

Hey Joel,

William's here from Hong Kong. Let me introduce you to "Hong Kong Ukulele Store": http://www.ukehk.com/

They carry mid-high pricing brands such as KoAloha and Kanile'a. They're willing to ship internationally. I know that they have some Taiwanese customers as well.

Hi William,

I bought my first good quality uke from the same site, but I suggest that you put this into a PM next time. Due to recent forum rule changes, I don't think site admin/mod will be happy to see it too often. Just a friendly reminder, actually I sent the same link to Joel via PM yesterday.

Aloha Joel,

Welcome to the UU forums and the ukulele...Yes yes you are on the best uke forums online...woo hoo we have the most friendly and nicest members around offering great
advice happy strummings..

歡迎登上喬爾!我很高興地看到,尤克里裡琴接受世界各地。谷歌實際上是翻譯但對我來說的手勢是所有友好。我敢肯定,您的enthusiasim將導致其他球員在您的區域。歡迎乘坐...

Benvinguts (welcome) from Catalonia. I am a University Teacher and this year, like other years, I have had a number of Chinese students in class! Wow! Your English teaching system is getting better and better! Twelve years ago, the Chinese exchange students were usually the weakest in the group, this year they were among the best!

I hope you solve your Uke dilemma. My students explained how things that were cheap for us were not cheap for most people in China. They explained this by comparing how much of their parents' salary was needed to buy things to give me an idea of the real cost for them.

In my faculty (Translation and Interpreting) it is great, we are a little United Nations, you can see Catalans chatting away in Chinese on a bench, while their Chinese partner replies in Spanish or Catalan; or else German exchange students debating in Spanish with Korean exchange students, etc. We offer 9 languages at the faculty as well as an Asian Studies course.

Top Bottom