Stewmac kit dorm room build

I truly admire your works, a huge accomplishment with very rudimentary tools.

I bought a dremel-multitool for my stewmac tenor project, although not dared to show it to my wife yet. It looked so nice in the shop and the ads promise a huge productivity boost.
The downside is that it needs all kind of extra parts for various special tasks and they cost money, of course.
The upside is that my son has a 3D printer. He made a "multipurpose cutting kit", which looks surprisingly much like Dremel 2615056532.
dremel-tuki.jpg
The original costs over 15USD so the saving is enormous :)

I hope mr tospace does not mind me using this thread for my own stewmac tenor #1 project. Being a complete novice of course.
I think this is related to previous tool discussion so here I go:

T1-G.jpgT1-H.jpgT1-J.jpgT1-K.jpgT1-L.jpg
I used sanding tools (sorry my English, not even sure about proper tool names :) )in a local school workshop - pics 1&2 - and was happy with them. I did the final job with manual sandpapering.

But being hasty, I decided to give my new multitool a try, in spite of warnings in this thread - pic 3. It was not so difficult, I was happy with the result, I got quite near final line.
(I had to do the work in my garage, you can see there is still snow outside in the yard. But not for long, spring is coming and I can work more here instead of kitchen!)

Pic 4 shows the project after gluing the back, everything OK?

NO IT IS NOT. Pic 5 shows the tail / back joint.
What is the right word, slit, slot or disaster? There is the tail block inside so perhaps it will endure but certainly it does not look good. What should I do now?

I do not understand the architecture: the back is bent curved with braces but my sides were sanded straight on the sandpapertable. How can it fit...

Last edited:
I hope mr tospace does not mind me using this thread for my own stewmac tenor #1 project. Being a complete novice of course.
I think this is related to previous tool discussion so here I go:

View attachment 35281View attachment 35282View attachment 35283View attachment 35284View attachment 35285
I used sanding tools (sorry my English, not even sure about proper tool names :) )in a local school workshop - pics 1&2 - and was happy with them. I did the final job with manual sandpapering.

But being hasty, I decided to give my new multitool a try, in spite of warnings in this thread - pic 3. It was not so difficult, I was happy with the result, I got quite near final line.
(I had to do the work in my garage, you can see there is still snow outside in the yard. But not for long, spring is coming and I can work more here instead of kitchen!)

Pic 4 shows the project after gluing the back, everything OK?

NO IT IS NOT. Pic 5 shows the tail / back joint.
What is the right word, slit, slot or disaster? There is the tail block inside so perhaps it will endure but certainly it does not look good. What should I do now?

I do not understand the architecture: the back is bent curved with braces but my sides were sanded straight on the sandpapertable. How can it fit...

From what it looks like it just seems there wasn't enough pressure around that area when you glued it on. It's not a complete disaster. What I would do is take down the overhang and use the sawdust from the overhang to make a paste (sawdust + glue) and just take a small blade and fill it in and hopefully it won't stand out. Make sure the paste is somewhat like 80% sawdust and 20% glue if there's too much glue it won't cover it up well.

Also I'd stay away from the grinding wheel but that's just me that thing scares me because it takes a lot of material out at once and it leaves a nasty mark if you go too far.

Final note, if you decide to put binding around the body like i did it might cover it up evenn better but I'm not 100% sure about routing the channel out where the glue isn't completely adhered to the side

There has been no update in so long T-T (still waiting on the tru-oil) so I decided I'd post about how the stand was made since last time I made it my phone was dead and couldn't take pics.
My friend was making a press for a long board we're making and we had these curved beams leftover and she wanted me to make a stand like mine for her since she has a ukulele as well.
These beams are curved but the concepts are exactly the same if you want to make it with a straight piece of wood.

Step1: Cut 2 beams of same length
Step2: Cut them at an angle that you want. I just stacked them on top of each other and ran them through the bandsaw. (pic 1)
Step3: Use the pieces left from cutting the angle as clamping caul and clamp the 2 pieces together. (pic 2)
Step4: Cut the support piece to desired height and angle and glue it on. (pic 3)
Step5: Take the clamping caul pieces and glue them on at the bottom as the arms for the stand. (pic 4)

IMG003.jpgIMG004.jpgIMG005.jpgIMG006.jpgIMG007.jpg

Last edited:
Oh jeez... well looks like I do have an interesting update for you guys after all.... and it's not a good one.
I just went to pick up my uke and play it and while I was playing I noticed a massive warp around the soundhole area.
It was warped right where one of the braces was running though and though how is that possible? Did the brace bend?
I got my hand in there and... brace split down the middle. It seems the tension on the strings cause it to snap.
Now I gotta figure out how to get in there glue the brace and clamp it...
I can barely get my hand in there and I can't even see it any suggestions?

... to make a stand like mine...
I guess this fits fine in the thread too: here is a solic plastic ukulele hook made with "Thing-O-Matic" 3D printer. 2012-03-21-084.jpg

"All you have to do is sit back and relax while your MakerBot® does all the work. Living in the future is awesome. " ;)

I've been following you're thread with interest. Been building a kit of my own.

Ouch!!! A broken brace. Sounds like one under the bridge. Not much more inconvenient than that.

I think you need to find a glue bottle that will let you fit it with a tube so that you can reach in to apple glue to the broken brace. Then clamp it with a long reach clamp. A small mirror, like a woman's makeup mirror, inside the uke might help you see what you're doing. The tricky part is getting the glue to the brace.

Good luck.

Jon

I've been following you're thread with interest. Been building a kit of my own.

Ouch!!! A broken brace. Sounds like one under the bridge. Not much more inconvenient than that.

I think you need to find a glue bottle that will let you fit it with a tube so that you can reach in to apple glue to the broken brace. Then clamp it with a long reach clamp. A small mirror, like a woman's makeup mirror, inside the uke might help you see what you're doing. The tricky part is getting the glue to the brace.

Good luck.

Jon

I feel like crying T-T

Well I had my guitar sent in to get serviced since summer is coming with all the heat and the dryness. I also took in my ukulele with it. He told me he's never worked on one before but he'll give it a try and try his best to repair it for me.
He said he will steam the top and the brace and keep bending it out because right now it's caved in. Once he's done that a couple of times he will glue the brace and see how it holds up.

Look what finally arrived! but don't have the ukulele on me anymore :(
IMG010.jpg

I've been running some tests with the tru-oil and it's hard to see in the picture but you can notice 2 different shades. The shiny side to the right has been applied with the sealer and filler while the left wasn't.
Hard to see in the picture but in real life the side that has had the sealer on it is much shinier, so for anyone in the future that plans to use the tru-oil finish and want a shiny finish use the sealer and filler before applying tru-oil
IMG_9073.jpg

tospace,
a big hand for your and others help again.
I ordered tru-oil and sealer-filler bottles from ebay.co.uk, total price with postage costs about 25USD and they promised to deliver it in a week (from UK to Finland). Not bad. Hopefully the result is better than "not bad" :)
I suppose I could have found them also from our hunting equipment stores but this was easier for me and not very much more expensive.

Well I had my guitar sent in to get serviced since summer is coming with all the heat and the dryness. I also took in my ukulele with it. He told me he's never worked on one before but he'll give it a try and try his best to repair it for me.
He said he will steam the top and the brace and keep bending it out because right now it's caved in. Once he's done that a couple of times he will glue the brace and see how it holds up.

tospace,

Any news on the fix?

tospace,

Any news on the fix?

The brace had cracked but the repairman thought a whole chunk of the brace fell off and I had like a 30 min discussion of whether to replace the whole brace and I was like why can't you just glue the split parts together... and he kept telling me it wouldn't be strong enough and that it was not possible to just glue the brace. So i told him alright have it your way and just do what you can but I don't want to replace the whole brace cause that would require the top coming off. He came back a week later and told me nothing could be done and that only replacing the brace would work... I finally told him to actually feel the brace and that there wasn't a piece missing and it was like he had an epiphany he was like wow... ya if I just glue this back it'll be all good, but apparently it'll still take another week -_-;; so ill have it back about next tuesday?

I am following tospace slowly. Now it is time to fret: I made an extreamly simple fret-press-o-matic but it works
2012-04-13-162.jpg

Top Bottom