Stewmac kit dorm room build

She's finally back!!! I had idea of burning a logo on the headstock but now I've run out of time and will have to leave it blank :( masked up for final prep and finish!
IMG_9150.jpg

Yeah!!!! It's so awesome that it was able to be fixed. Can't wait to see her finished.

BTW - I spent a year in Korea about 20 years ago. Wish I could go with you and see what's changed and what's stayed the same.

Yeah!!!! It's so awesome that it was able to be fixed. Can't wait to see her finished.

BTW - I spent a year in Korea about 20 years ago. Wish I could go with you and see what's changed and what's stayed the same.

What part of korea????? If it was anywhere close to a big city it would probably resemble nothing to what you remember hahaha but it's an awesome place and great night life

3 coats so far. I plan to do about 5-7 depending on how much time I have. I've been wetsanding with 400 grit every coat. Anyone have recommendations as to how to protect the finish? Im planning to do a coat of wax at the end. thoughts?
IMG_9154.jpg

3 coats so far. I plan to do about 5-7 depending on how much time I have. I've been wetsanding with 400 grit every coat. Anyone have recommendations as to how to protect the finish? Im planning to do a coat of wax at the end. thoughts?
View attachment 36560

I just finished a pineapple tenor. I pretty much did what you did. In hindsight, after three or four coats, I would have switched to 1000 or 1500 grit, rubbed in my finish product (make sure you wipe off across the grain to fill the pores) until I was happy with the look. I used Waterlox Tung Oil so I let mine dry for a week, and then burnished with #oooo steel wool and then rubbed it back out with lemon oil. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, but on my second build I'm goin to pore fill with West's System 3, or Z Poxy before the Waterlox and use their gloss finish.

-Gary

I just finished a pineapple tenor. I pretty much did what you did. In hindsight, after three or four coats, I would have switched to 1000 or 1500 grit, rubbed in my finish product (make sure you wipe off across the grain to fill the pores) until I was happy with the look. I used Waterlox Tung Oil so I let mine dry for a week, and then burnished with #oooo steel wool and then rubbed it back out with lemon oil. I'm really happy with the way it turned out, but on my second build I'm goin to pore fill with West's System 3, or Z Poxy before the Waterlox and use their gloss finish.

-Gary
Ya I used the birchwood casey's wood filler and it looks much nicer

Your finish is looking great. I went for a more matte finish on mine it just seemed like less work for a first build. I will almost certainly do pore filling on any future builds. Even with matte or satin finish I like the pore filled look better

About Korea. I lived in Seoul and I know it's very much changed. When I look at the area I lived in on google earth it's hard to recognize any of the area. There are a few unchanged land marks but most of the buildings are changed. I guess that's life in a fast growing city.

Sorry for not giving updates but the ukulele has been finished. Too bad I had to back my camera away in storage as I moved out of dorm and came to korea. So here are some phone pictures I will post better pics in 4 months time when I'm back in Canada
IMG058.jpgIMG060.jpgIMG062.jpgIMG063.jpgIMG064.jpg

Top Bottom