New Kamaka intonation off?

I have e-mailed Kamaka (on Friday) they are out until Tuesday. A very knowledgeable luthier took a quick look at it today (we were there as my wife is having a Uke custom built) I brought it along as a size gauge... String height is .100 at the 12th fret. Interestingly it was noted that while the strings get progressively sharper going down the fretboard...the C string being the worst...it is "dead on" at the 12th fret. So strings are a bit high and it was suggested the nut might be an additional potential source of the problem... I will wait to hear from Kamaka... Then proceed as they want. I don't want to compromise the warranty. I did look at the saddle and I think it is a compensated one...it is shaped to reach the strings at different points.
I do want to thank the individual who looked at it as that was above and beyond the call of duty and not my intention in bringing it along...I merely wanted to have a "pattern" so my wife could envision what any wood she selected would trim down to when cut to size. A very nice offer and since I have seen the individual on UU I want to express my thanks in case they find this post.
Final question...changing the strings can void the warranty???

I'm glad to hear the follow up on this......I would change the strings and see if that solves it. I do not like Kamaka strings at all. I don't want to disagree with my friend MM Stan, as he knows volumes more about Kamaka than I, but I can't imagine how changing strings could void a warranty.

You could take the Kamaka strings off and save them, then try something else. You could put them back on if you wanted.

Sorry to hear about the troubles with your Kamaka!

Final question...changing the strings can void the warranty???

Sounds odd to me too. But, trust me, these guys on here know what they are talking about. Also, from other threads I've read, Kamaka can be pretty finicky when it comes to warranty issues. They do make a wonderful instrument however.

Scott

Congrats on your new Kamaka! Received a tenor special from Kamaka in December. Played it yesterday. It seems to be fine and sounds great even with the stock strings. I don't always pick up on small problems with a uke. When I bring them in for string changes, the tech will sometimes tweak them. He's done this with my Kamakas and also KoAlohas. Would have to be a serious problem for me to send it back to the dealer or to Kamaka. Good luck.

Edit: Not suggesting that you do anything to void your warranty but maybe the problem isn't as bad as it appears to be.

Last edited:
Before looking into repairs, try playing your kk more gently. Many guitarists and mandolin players pick up a uke and press the strings all the way to the fretboard with their powerful fingers. This'll pull almost any uke sharp. For best intonation, fret with just enough pressure for a clean note, no more.
I agree-I see this a lot at our Shop with guitarists.

I did not know that your new ukulele is in the 1K range, in this case, send it back for setup or another one.
That's a lot of money and don't really want to mess around with any setup (as I recommened in earlier post).
I got mine dirt cheap (40$ instead of 160$ from the store) and I got experiences in setting mandolins, so I can affort to do anything I like with mine. If I pay 1K for a mandolin, I will pay for a pro-setup as well.

Thanks MGM
Will do...
As a follow up... HUGE Kudos/props to Kamaka
I had (as I posted earlier) e-mailed Kamaka last Friday. Today, while I was at work my cellphone rang and I saw it was an 808 number. Since I have a very good friend who lives on Maui, I assumed it was him...imagine my surprise when it was Kamaka calling to talk to me about my question! I spoke to the very nice woman who called for a bit and when we started to get fairly technical about the problem she transferred me to Chris Kamaka...wow! that is good old fashioned customer service.
We discussed the issue I was having and he gave me a few suggestions and instructed me how to proceed. Everyone I have spoken to from Kamaka (including the original dealer) have been very positive and friendly and helpful. This is a wonderful instrument with great sound that has a minor set-up issue from the sounds of it. I am extremely happy with the response i have gotten so far and think it important to share that with the community at large.
So, a big THANK YOU to Kamaka and to you all at UU.
I will let you know how this all works out, but after my conversation today I am very optimistic (and impressed).

Last edited:
Here is the promised update!
I kept tuning the Uke daily (Since it was new and had new strings) and checking the intonation...while it was still off it seemed less off than I had remembered... I spoke to a luthier locally and today when it was time to take it down there I rechecked...the intonation was now almost dead on...the saddle came down a tiny bit but that was more to improve the (already good) playability...the intonation is now essentially perfect! So...the question is...why?
Could this be due to the Uke adjusting to the big humidity change between living at the dealer in Arizona and now being in Oregon where we run roughly 40-50% humidity most of the time. It took close to two weeks for the change to occur from the original to the current "correct" intonation state. My other thought is the strings stretching/adjusting but it seems more likely to be humidity related...
The good news is that I am THRILLED with my instrument now and will hopefully be enjoying it for a long time.

Last edited:
I have a Kamaka HF-3L, When I stringed it up with a new set of Kamaka tenor strings, the A string goes completely flat starting from the 10th fret. I have no problems with nylgut or fluorocarbon but I happen to like the fat nylon sound. Sended this video to Kamaka with the question how to resolve this problem (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tMPWAwPLk4). I got zero response... A bit frustrating since Kamaka advises to use their brand of strings for the best result

2017 Martin Centennial Style 1
2017 Kamaka HF-3L
2017 Kamaka HF-2
2016 Kiwaya KTS-7
2013 Martin 2K tenor

I find new nylon strings seem to go a bit sharp as they warm up.

Wow, necroposted from 7 years ago! (No offense intended!) I will give a 7 year update...the Kamaka has gotten better and sounds great...I wish I could say the same for me and my playing LOL. Still having fun though.

Top Bottom