Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Music Theory Questions- Ask Away

cool link!
    so what would an e7 - e9 funk 'lick' look like on a uke?
    like this one?
    http://guitar.about.com/od/funkguita...-lesson_10.htm

Quote Originally Posted by seanmorr View Post
    cool link!
    so what would an e7 - e9 funk 'lick' look like on a uke?
    like this one?
    http://guitar.about.com/od/funkguita...-lesson_10.htm
    The top four strings of guitar tabs can be converted to ukulele by subtracting 5 from the fret number... so, in this case, 16,15,16 becomes 11,10,11 and 7,7,7 becomes 2,2,2.

My preferred funk lick is a ii7-V9... for example, I will play Dm7 (5,5,5,5) for a bar then G9 (4,5,5,5) for the next. The form is completely moveable to any key.

The important thing is the rhythm.
    Thou Shalt Not.

Thank you,
    Also, which scales/modes should be used when improvising in blues. For blues in major and minor keys? Same question for jazz.
    I know its been mentioned in this thread that mixolydian sounds bluesy.

Just checking back in, lots of good info and interesting questions.

Betelgeuxy: Mixolydian is a good basic mode for blues and jazz soloing. But, I have to say, the common approach of picking a mode and then just noodling over a chord progression sounds like fun but doesn't really sound like proper jazz or blues to a serious listener. It just sounds like noodling. I recommend that you spend more time copying licks, solos and passages by ear. After you figure them out, write them down and learn them in a few different keys so you understand them better. Then, if you analyze them, you may find that they come out of certain scales and modes.

What I am saying is, the mode/scale is the alphabet, but it is not the word/paragraph/essay/conversation/vocabulary/slang/speech/poem/novel/haiku.

does that make sense?

I have a music theory question! When you strum the chords of a song and sing the melody, the chords and the melody seem to... match. Why is that? Do certain notes match with certain chords?

Hi Aaron - Here is my question. Think of the Kinks song, the beginning chords of "All Day And All Of The Night". A real simple way to play that intro is C Bb Eb C, or more specifically just sliding the closed major chord shape around, 5433, 3211, 8766, 5433. Now my question is, even tho those are all major chords, why do the Bb and Eb sound minor? I'm guessing it has something to do with the notes in the Bb and Eb chords not falling within the C major scale. Anyway I've always thought it interesting that a major chord sounds minor in a different context. Thanks!

Brilliant thread! Not stumbled on it before, but will file away a lot of the info I have read on it this evening. Some of the best explanations I have read of certain aspects are here. Thanks so much!

My problem with written music, however, is not the notes themselves but the timing. I have never come across an easy way to learn how to work out note lengths.

If I come across a tune in a music book and I want to be sure of how it sounds (It NEVER sounds like how I read it ) I use a simple music writing programme called Melody Assistant - If I want to hear how a tune goes, I enter it into MA and then press play. The problem comes if I try and read music myself without MA. I basically end up playing the right notes, but never at the right durations. I am hopeless at counting beats. I failed Math at school (but I speak 5 languages fairly fluently) - go figure.

It is even worse when I have attempted to write down my own tunes in music format, because I can spend hours with MA and still not get the durations right. Is there an easy way to work on this aspect of music notation?

Epiphone Les Paul (Red) Concert
    Kala KA FMTE - C (Low G)
    Steel Strung Hora Baritone
    Korala Baritone UKB 36
    Eugene Customised Tanglewood TU5 Baritone (High D)
    Yamaha GL1 Guitarlele
    Baritone Ukulele Banjo
    Oscar Schmidt 8 String Tenor
    Oscar Schmidt 6 String Tenor
    Jack Daniels Tenor - by Peavey
    Mainland Red Cedar Concert
    Korala Soprano Mahogany Electro Acoustic Cutaway
    Tenor Resonator Ukulele HB CLU 34-T
    Alida Electric Tenor
    Harley Benton CLU-Bass

wow, thanks for this Aaron. I don't understand most of it as I'm music theory illiterate . I would like to learn to improvise breaks, and there is plenty of food for thought at this lavish banquet . Hope to get to see you in person sometime now that I'm in the great Northwest. Would like to get to the MM picnic, but it's almost 6 hours from where I am in north[way north, 15 miles from Canada] central WA.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thread Information