new Mainland uke problem

RebV

Reaction score
Hello All! My daughter just received her first ukulele, a Mainland Slotted Head mahagony uke. Beautiful instrument, but very loud. My ears are throbbing! Is this a newbie problem or is this known to be very loud. Thanks in advance for the advice!

"Throbbing"??? Be grateful she didn't want a fiddle or a drum set bro. I own the same uke and LOVE mine, I've found it to be smoother and more mild in volume than my other ukes. Give her time and buy her the new Jake Shimabukuro tab book, let her mess with "Go For Broke". Nice and slow tune.

Also remember what Jaco P. said "It's all in the hands"

Well, thank you for the encouragement because I was freaking out! She is 7 and this was a big purchase for her first instrument. It does seem much louder than the others that we tried, but perhaps that is because she at home testing it out. She has a Taylor Guitar and that isn't nearly as loud. I will look into the book you suggested. Thanks!

Try different strings.

I just received a Mainland Mahogany Slotted Concert recently and love it. What I don't love is the Aquila strings that come standard. Aquilas are great on my laminate Kalas.

I have a set of low G Worth Clears on my OS Concert and love the sound of them. Much more rounded and mellow sounding and seemingly not as taut and "rigid." I'm going to get a set of re-entrant Worths for the Mainland. I'm sure I'll like them much better. I think they'll have less punch and volume.

I'm trying to learn old standards and looking for a smooth, blended kind of sound.

If they're Aquila strings, that's the problem. A Mainland doesn't need all that punch. I would try Worth clears. Or you could go all the way to the other end of the spectrum and try classical strings, like D'Addario or Savarez. But, that might be going too far.

It is strung with Aquila strings. I will try the Worth strings and see where we land. It currently is so loud that is just sounds like it is trying too hard--if that makes sense. When she practices her guitar, even when the notes are wrong, it sounds pleasant and I can work on my computer while she practices. Not so with this uke. We were considering the Kala Golden Acacia and perhaps we just made the wrong choice. Hopefully the string change will help us get a more mellow sound. Thanks!

Heh. This may be the first time I've ever heard anybody complain that a uke is too loud - usually the problem is just the opposite.

Aquila strings can be kinda harsh on a good uke, though, as others have mentioned. But...too loud? :)

It is strung with Aquila strings. I will try the Worth strings and see where we land. It currently is so loud that is just sounds like it is trying too hard--if that makes sense. When she practices her guitar, even when the notes are wrong, it sounds pleasant and I can work on my computer while she practices. Not so with this uke. We were considering the Kala Golden Acacia and perhaps we just made the wrong choice. Hopefully the string change will help us get a more mellow sound. Thanks!

She's not using a pick, is she?

Oh god, please no....

I highly recommend Worth Clears! I put them on my Mainland Mango, and it sounds so much better~ clear, round, tad softer, very nice.

I only wish that was my problem. Are you sure she isn't hiding an amplifier somewhere? I've never, ever heard an ukulele that was too loud!
I saw this sign in a Hooters restaraunt, many years ago: "If the music's too loud, you're too old." LOL...

Had the classic slot head tenor and the aquillas seemed to scream. Put a set of freemont black line low g's or worth bm low g's cant remember which and it was way better. The only other problem playing wise is mine had large frets. they were .012-.015 higher and wider had them lowered by local luthiier and it was a great player and dynamite looker.

Screaming is a good way to put it. Maybe too loud isn't exactly phrasing it as I should. It just is unpleasant and not as mellow as I had expected it to be. It actually hurts my ears. I am going to try and put some Worth's on it today and will report back. My poor daughter has been told by everyone in the household that she must practice in her room and I specifically purchased a good instrument so that we all would enjoy hearing her learn to play well. I love the relaxing sound of a uke and this isn't producing a relaxing sound--in fact, quite the opposite.

Screaming is a good way to put it. Maybe too loud isn't exactly phrasing it as I should. It just is unpleasant and not as mellow as I had expected it to be. It actually hurts my ears. I am going to try and put some Worth's on it today and will report back. My poor daughter has been told by everyone in the household that she must practice in her room and I specifically purchased a good instrument so that we all would enjoy hearing her learn to play well. I love the relaxing sound of a uke and this isn't producing a relaxing sound--in fact, quite the opposite.
I think strings are the answer here, for sure. I have a soprano zebra wood uke that was a bit "barky" and a little grating, but put Worth Brown strings on it and it sounds great now. You might have to try out several different varieties of strings before you find the right one for your uke, but don't give up. Making a uke quieter is easier than trying to make it louder. If that doesn't work, look at her technique, especially the right hand. Maybe her fingernails are too long (for fingerpicking) or she is strumming too hard. If she is used to a guitar, she might be carrying over a heavier touch than is desired on a ukulele.

–Lori

" buy her the new Jake Shimabukuro tab book, let her mess with "Go For Broke". Nice and slow tune.

Also remember what Jaco P. said "It's all in the hands"

She is only 7, J Shimabukuro tab book is too difficult for her. She probably make paper plan out of it ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. For a 7 year old, she is pretty serious about her music and learning. I just need to find the right music for her to work on--something that is cool, fairly easy and slow.

Thanks Lori. Most helpful. I am sure she is strumming too hard too and has been a bit heavy handed. I am on a mission to get new strings! We will definitely try some options and see what works best. I had read that getting a uke to be loud could be a challenge, but I never dreamed that too loud could be a problem Barky and grating is a good description description of the sound. I am looking forward to finding the strings that will work for us so that I can enjoy listening to her practice :)

Top Bottom