Pono or Lo Prinzi Tenor?

caukulele

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am considering either a Pono or Lo Prinzi tenor in the future. Neither are around my area to see in person, so I wanted to ask if anyone has played both and has an opinion. I believe both make very good tenors and I plan to string them with a low G.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much difference this makes, but my understanding is that the Pono ukuleles are manufactured in Asia, and then hand setup in Hawaii, while the Lo Prinzi ukuleles are all handmade by the Lo Prinzi family in Florida. I have never played a Lo Prinzi, but have played a Pono 8-string tenor, which was very nice.

I'm not sure how much difference this makes, but my understanding is that the Pono ukuleles are manufactured in Asia, and then hand setup in Hawaii, while the Lo Prinzi ukuleles are all handmade by the Lo Prinzi family in Florida. I have never played a Lo Prinzi, but have played a Pono 8-string tenor, which was very nice.

I've played both & own a LoPrinzi. I don't think they are in the same league at all. LoPrinzi is completely hand-built by the Father & Daughter team of Augie & Donna LoPrinzi. They are known for being "lightly built" - a plus with a ukulele. All of the Pono's I've played just seemed "overbuilt" - heavier by far than my KoAloha's OR my LoPrinzi & the LoPrinzi has a GREAT neck profile - slim, sleek, & just a comfort to play. Yeah, I'm a fan!

Augie & Donna LoPrinzi. They are known for being "lightly built" - a plus with a ukulele. All of the Pono's I've played just seemed "overbuilt" - heavier by far than my KoAloha's OR my LoPrinzi & the LoPrinzi has a GREAT neck profile - slim, sleek, & just a comfort to play. Yeah, I'm a fan![/QUOTE]

I own a LoPrinzi concert koa. How low can you go with the action? Business card at fret 1, it'll hold a quarter at fret 12, no buzzing. Just like it had steel strings. The frets be level. Astonishingly fun to play, but it does sound more like a guitar it's so mellow.

My $75 Makai was set up (almost) as low and it's just as nice. And everyone who hears it says Hawaii! ukulele! .

A friend of mine has a Kala, bought from Mim's if I recall, and it's just as playable as my LoPrinzi because it's properly set up even though the action is a bit higher. Hey, the lots of extra money for the LP buys a perfectly straight and level neck and frets.

Just buy from a good dealer, there are plenty of them. Elderly.com has an LP tenor in stock.

Thanks for all the opinions...I too have been gravitating towards the Lo Prinzi...now I just have to save up the money, which may take quite some time...but at least I have my goal.... (I'm am sure that properly set up either would be an excellent ukulele and a dream to play.) I am looking for the perfect contrast tenor for my KoAloha concert (which I love)...my hope is to have two ukuleles that I love (and only two)...my concert with high the G and a tenor with low G, both with distinct beautiful "voices"....

I'm in the same decision process right now between these two brands of tenors.

The LoPrinzi ukes have a thinner, flatter neck, which is something you should think about. It'll surprise you the first time you hold it, that's why it's really hard to shop for an instrument long-distance. They (the LoPrinzis) are very nice, but they seem a little bit too slight in my opinion. Someone remarked they are lighter, but they seem a little fragile to me.

I don't think the Pono ukes are overbuilt. They "feel right" to me. Between those two brands I'm leaning towards a Pono, but like the idea of supporting a family-run, 100% domestic operation like LoPrinzi, so I'm a bit torn...

FYI - someone mentioned that Elderly has a tenor Loprinzi in stock currently. They do. It's the Model A, made with solid cherry, which is an interesting option. It is NOT the unit pictured on their website. I got some detailed pictures from them of the actual uke that they have. In the pictures they sent there is a small chip on the headstock. They said it came from the manufacturer that way.

Yes, it's hard not being able to see, hold, listen to a ukulele before buying. You tube has a lot of videos, (although, not too many LoPrinzi ukes) but there are so many variables with the videos that it is difficult to know if what we hear is accurate. That's why this forum is so helpful as well...

>>The LoPrinzi ukes have a thinner, flatter neck, which is something you should think about. <<

Yes, as does the Makai simimaple. Both are lightly built, almost fragile, in different ways, and the handmade one does have subtle imperfections. Other ukes will seem quite heavy and fat. Not to everybody's liking, but the LP is easy to fret.

Which is why it's so good to participate in a group and try other instruments.

You can't make a bad choice here. My pono uke is great. Very playable, warm tone, clear projection, great instrument. I've not played a LoPrinzi but if I had the extra money, I'd go for a LoPrinzi. Hand Built in the USA by Luthiers with a really good reputation is the winner for me.

Good luck!

I just got a Loprinzi Baritone and I've played Pono tenors before. The Loprinzi is very light and I like the thin neck profile. Very smooth and quick. My impression of the Ponos when I played them two years ago is that they were a little over built as one poster said. I would say that they are in different leagues.

Comment and a question--- I have a new cedar top Pono (2010, new only to me) tenor and I think it's the bee's knees. Sure, it's husky. But, I tend to agree with the-dude below...I have light (fragile) ukes (my Donaldson soprano is only 10.65 ounces and makes my KoAloha feel like a log!), as in my profile, but this one sounds so very good. So full. I think it's the rosewood back and sides with cedar top combination, frankly. I have never played an LP, so I'm not comparing, I'm just saying, the more I play this tenor (when I first got it last week, it felt like a small guitar--it's my first tenor), the more I love iT! Projection is the proper word. So clear, such sustain (the advantage of longer strings, I'm sure). It's gorgeous, with the slotted head and the woods. And, I suppose if Eddie Vedder can use his Pono cedar top RTSH for his Ukulele Songs CD, it's good enough for me playing "Mary Had A Little Lamb" on it. lol The new Ponos are going for over $850, and with the passive electronics, nearly $1000.

Now the question: when you mention the LP, which look swell, too, I see they have all prices, from $500 (the class A that some of you are mentioning) to well over $1300. Which model is the one that you all are saying is wonderful and sounds great and is light and lovely? Thanks

Last edited:
Now the question: when you mention the LP, which look swell, too, I see they have all prices, from $500 (the class A that some of you are mentioning) to well over $1300. Which model is the one that you all are saying is wonderful and sounds great and is light and lovely? Thanks

Congrats on your new Pono coolk! It's sounds like a great uke. The model I bought recently is the Baritone B series. It's exactly as I assumed it would be. I had to order from a store in a different state and I get nervous when I buy sight unseen or unheard. But I trusted the quality that Takumi Ukulele would deal with since I own 2 wonderful Kiwaya sopranos. Very similar build and finish. You should play one if you get a chance.

I have played (in a store) the LoPrinzi Model A concert & tenors, and a Model D tenor. All have the same "fragile" nature. I picked it up (the tenor) after holding a Kala tenor and was struck by how light it was in comparison. I can't stress enough how different the neck feels. I still like them, but perhaps I am answering my own question here. Since my 2.5-year-old daughter likes to pick up my uke when I leave it accessible (d'oh!) perhaps I should stay away from something as delicate as a LoPrinizi...

BTW, I've found a few LP tenors in stock at various places. If you happen to be looking for one let me know and I'll post what I know.

I have played (in a store) the LoPrinzi Model A concert & tenors, and a Model D tenor. All have the same "fragile" nature. I picked it up (the tenor) after holding a Kala tenor and was struck by how light it was in comparison. I can't stress enough how different the neck feels. I still like them, but perhaps I am answering my own question here. Since my 2.5-year-old daughter likes to pick up my uke when I leave it accessible (d'oh!) perhaps I should stay away from something as delicate as a LoPrinizi...

BTW, I've found a few LP tenors in stock at various places. If you happen to be looking for one let me know and I'll post what I know.
All ukes are fragile. Loprinzis are no different than other quality ukes. Play what sounds best and keep it in a case until your daughter knows to not touch.

All the Loprinzi's I have played are super and sound fantastic. Some Pono's that I have played are super and sound fantastic.

Owned several Ponos and one LoPrinzi. Both are very good. LoPrinzi is better (opinion) but you'll pay for the difference. Mine is a Spruce/Rosewood Tenor (MRS-T) $1500 new.

Had 2 Ponos and 2 LoPrinzis. Still have my walnut soprano LoPrinzi, going on seven years now. The Ponos looked and sounded good but were definitely on the heavily built side. They were both a little quiet and both had a serious case of “head drop”. Also, I only noticed this as I started to play up the neck, but my last Pono had intonation issues. Both LoPrinzis were beautifully finished, nice and light with slim, fast necks, great tone and very good intonation. My soprano LoPrinzi is a keeper for life, in fact I just treated her to new Gotoh planetary tuners. Bottom line, I highly recommend LoPrinzi over Pono.

Never met a Loprinzi I didn't like, but have played some Ponos that were muted & uninspiring. I know, they might open up, I'm just impatient.
Given the price of the Pono class of ukes, it shouldn't be a crapshoot. I never know if the ukulele "comes out", or the buyer just lowers expectations.

Top Bottom