2-Chord Song Contest, D & A7, from UkulelePlay.com

ukuleleplay

Reaction score
Congratulations to Mark Dutton, the winner of a Mahalo Smiley Uke. Thanks everyone for your entries!

Contest closed to new entries. A big thank you to everyone who entered!

Deadline: Friday, March 23rd - 11:59 and 59 seconds (Hawaiian Time), 2012

Prize: Mahalo Smiley Face Ukulele with New Martin Strings - It's Cute! Makes a great loaner uke for teaching friends.

The uke will be mailed to your choice of USA addresses. Not in the US? - donate it to a good cause that uses ukuleles - like The Shropshire Music Foundation.

Instructions:

• Post your video on this UU thread AND on Ukulele Play's Facebook Page (optional)
  • Video should include an original or cover song that includes just two chords: D & A7. After the song, the video may also include tutorials or description of techniques used to make the accompaniment interesting.
  • Video title should read "UkulelePlay.com 2-chord contest, D & A7: Song Title"

Judging criteria, in order of importance:
  1. Does the song stick to the chords D & A7?
  2. How does the player make the instrumental part interesting, despite the use of only 2 chords?
  3. Are the vocals in tune?
  4. Did the performer go the extra mile - video production, post-song tutorials, etc.?

Additional info:
No entry limit.
Multi-tracking and additional instruments are welcome.
_______

Here are a few folk and children's songs I've identified that will work with just D & A7 (you do NOT have to use songs on this list - covers of modern songs and originals are encouraged):

Aunt Rhody
Billy Boy
Bought me a Cat
Buffalo Gals
Christmas Comin'
Cocky Robin
Do, Re, Mi, Fa
Doodle Dandy
Eentsy Weentsy Spider
Evening Still
Fair Rosa
Go Tell Aunt Rhody (Bye Lo, My Baby)
Great Big House in New Orleans
He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
Hop, Old Squirrel
Hush Little Baby
I Had Four Brothers Over the Sea
Jacob's Ladder
Jingle at the Window
John Henry
Juba
List to the Bells
London Bridge
Looby Loo
O Belinda (Dance Tune)
Oats and Beans
Oh, Dear! What Can the Matter Be?
On the Mountain Stands a Lady
Pay Me My Money Down
Polly Wolly Doodle
Poor Lonesome Cowboy
Putting on the Style
Rockin' By the Baby
Row, Row, Row Your Boat
Shoo Fly!
Shortnin' Bread
Skip to my Lou
Skipping Rope
Sleep, Little One
Sweet Betsy from Pike
Three Blind Mice
Time I've Lost in Wooing, The
Trampin'
Turn, Cinnamon, Turn
Up and Down Jamaica Plain
We're Going 'Round the Mountain
What Shall We Do When We all Go Out?
Where is John?
Whistle, Daughter, Whistle
Who's that Tapping at the Window?

Last edited:
I know someone will be picky namely me you say midnight 23rd march hawaiin time midnight or eastern?
Thanks

Instructions:

• Okay, thanks - you just lost me.

I do not use Facebook.

I do not care to use Facebook.

Nothing short of guaranteed receipt of a Moore Bettah, Mya-Moe, or Compass Rose ukulele would even entice me to open a Facebook account.

Have fun, and I hope that you have lots of entries.

-Kurt​

cool! is there a limit on how many entries an individual may submit?

also- is it a "solo performance" thing, or are overdubs and/or additional instruments welcome?

No limit on entries. I'll edit to reflect that.

Okay, thanks - you just lost me.

I do not use Facebook.

I do not care to use Facebook.

Nothing short of guaranteed receipt of a Moore Bettah, Mya-Moe, or Compass Rose ukulele would even entice me to open a Facebook account.

-Kurt​

Definitely not a Mya-Moe, but if you don't want to use Facebook, email me and I'll post it for you : ryan@ukuleleplay.com

also- is it a "solo performance" thing, or are overdubs and/or additional instruments welcome?

Overdubs and additional instruments are welcome, but there should be a vocal part, and the ukulele should be the supporting star. I'll edit to reflect. Thanks!

you are amazing!! liked your version of What I got more than the original!!
you're a cool dude xx

I'm writing my own song just for this contest! I can't even get the prize, it just seems like fun!

If the current trend continues, I think I've got a good shot at winning this contest :)

My 5-year-old daughter has got her heart set on daddy getting that smiley-face uke :D

If the current trend continues, I think I've got a good shot at winning this contest :)

My 5-year-old daughter has got her heart set on daddy getting that smiley-face uke :D

ha ha...well played Mo, well played. All your stuff is good mate and this selection here just confirms it. Good luck brother! I hope you are able to withstand a possible withering barrage of last-minute entries!!! :)

Top Bottom