Strumming Stumbles...

Mrsgneissgirl

Reaction score
So, ive been practicing for 3 days... my fingers are sore, and i have all nails but my pointer nail on my Right hand cut (massage therapists cant have nails)... i feel like im remembering chords well, but i cant get the strumming rhythm right... Maybe my nails aren't long enough? any advice on keeping rhythm or making sure that all strings are touched when strumming? I'm loving it, and every once in a while i hit a good stride, but then its gone... Any help would be most appreciated...Thanks guys!

I recently had an acrylic nail put on my index finger, as I had worn the real nail down pretty far and was (fortunately) playing too often for it to grow back naturally. I was wearing to down faster than it'd grow. The nail I have now is a LITTLE longer than I'd usually have it, but not a whole lot and it's certainly not longer than my other nails, which I keep short. I lucked out on my first visit, as the technician had done nails for a guitarist and put on another layer of acrylic for me, so it's super strong.
Might be a solution for you.

As for strumming, I've recently figured out a good exercise that seems to work (it's kinda what I did when I was learning, but WAY better structured!).
Make a thumbs-up with your right hand (a loose fist with your thumb up) and turn it in towards you, so the thumb is pointing to the left.
Now, whenever you're listening to music, tap your leg with the thumb. Just beat out time with it. Keep it simple.
As you get used to this motion, let your index finger open up a bit, nice and relaxed, and strum your leg, still tapping with the thumb.
See how it's the same motion as strumming? Just keep that up and you'll get it in no time.

Welcome to the forums, by the way. Do look around. There are a grajillion threads with answers to almost any question... and if there isn't, ask, and there will be!

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

I keep my nails trimmed (most of the time). I don't think nails are the issue. As Steve said, it's really just practice.

You could try (if you're not already) just focusing on the down strum: Down-down-down-down... You can play a ton of songs with nothing but down strums.

Once your finger/hand/wrist/arm get used to that movement, they will all sort of settle into the most efficient way to do it. At that point, you're all set to add the "up" part in and practice that.

Go slowly. Make sure you're strumming over the fretboard and not the sound hole. Get pluggin' away! You'll get there.

JJ

How long you been playing? Honey, I have been at this for 18 months and I practice practice practice and I still only have a couple, maybe 3 strums down and I am just starting to get serious about the fancy stuff. Just keep having fun, while you practice practice practice.

Top Bottom