Pepe Romero Koa Tenor Review

specialk13

Reaction score
Pepe Romero Jr. has been making ukuleles since last year. He already has an impressive following for his guitars and he has been a luthier for about 15 years. I was very excited to try one of his ukes! Here's a quick review....

Features: 10
Tenor Koa made by Pepe Romero in San Diego, CA in 2011.
12 frets to the body, 18 frets total.
Solid Koa top, back, and sides with classical inspired fan bracing on the top. Rosewood binding and bloodwood purfling.
Mahogany neck with Madagascar rosewood fretboard and string-through bridge. CSA rosewood peghead overlay.
The finish is shellac with a French polish, very thin and very hard.
Peghed brand tuners. The neck width at the nut measures a rather wide 38mm and the fretboard is not radiused.

Sound: 10
This is easily one of the best tenor ukes I have played, period. It has a loud voice and projects very well. The Koa adds a sweet warmth but it's still nice and bright overall. It just sings when played, and I would say it excels at classical or fingerstyle style playing the most. It actually puts a Collings UT1 to shame volume-wise (and that's saying something). It sounds good everywhere on the fretboard and plays just as well.

Action, Fit & Finish: 10
OK, so the finish shows some application marks and is not perfect but really, just holding the uke you can tell how good the build quality is. I love being able to tell that it was all handmade by an individual and not a factory. If I wanted perfection, I would have bought a Collings :) Other than the finish, everything looks and works very well. It's light as a feather and extremely responsive. I probably wouldn't take it out to a gig just because I never want to lose it or have anything happen to it!

Customer Support: 10
I didn't purchase this uke directly from Pepe but I have been in touch with him. Let me just say that he is a pleasure to deal with. He will take the time to answer any questions and he really wants his customers to be happy with one of his instruments. He's ben more than accommodating to me. He's top notch in my book.

Overall Rating: 10
I can't give this uke anything less than a 10, it's just that good. If you want beautiful workmanship as well as a gorgeous sound, you might want to consider one of Pepe's ukes. I'm still amazed at how much sound comes out of this little box! I know I rated this uke a 10 out of 10 in each category but I really think it was earned. I have played and owned many, many ukes over the years and this one stands at the top. I think Pepe has loads of talent and I can't wait to see more from him.

Cheers!

Attachments

• PR1.jpg
    PR1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 333
  • PR2.jpg
    PR2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 315
  • PR3.jpg
    PR3.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 303
  • PR4.jpg
    PR4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 238
  • PR5.jpg
    PR5.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
McCabe's in Santa Monica, CA has had 2 Pepe Romero Jr. ukes since they first came out. A Mahogany tenor and a Koa tenor. The Mahogany has since been sold, but the Koa tenor is still for sale. I've played both many times. They are probably the lightest built tenor ukes around. Great workmanship, sound, tone, and projection.

Guitar Salon International, here in Santa Monica as well, specializes in classical and flamenco guitars. They also received delivery from Pepe Romero Jr. himself when the ukes first came out and Pepe Sr. performed live, too! I believe that all of their Pepe Jr ukes have been sold.

Last edited:
Excellent review, specialK! The rosewood binding is sweet and I love that lighter stripe down the middle of the top. Did you buy locally? I remember HMS had one or two recently. Be sure to supply some sound files when you can.

Last edited:
Guitar Salon International, here in Santa Monica as well, specializes in classical and flamenco guitars. They also received delivery from Pepe Romero Jr. himself when the ukes first came out and Pepe Sr. performed live, too! I believe that all of their Pepe Jr ukes have been sold.
Yeah, the site says they are sold out.

A while ago they had a blog entry/video from Pepe Jr. stopping by and demo-ing three of his ukes (mahogany, koa, spruce). He's not a bad player, either. :)

http://guitarsalon.com/blog/?p=2437

Pepe Ramero Ukulele

I have one of Pepe's first 16 builds from 2011, a Koa one. Blows my 1945 Martin tenor away. Only problem that I have is that it just may be too good for my voice as I am lost in the volume of the music. Everything about this ukulele is special and the best part is that it is made by only one person. Talked with Pepe when I called him from Marbella, Spain and it turns out that his family is from Malaga, Spain. He is really personable and someone who immediately connects with people who love music and his instruments.

Last edited:
Pepe's guitars are phenomenal!!! I can only imagine his ukuleles are the same. Would someone please PM me the approximate price of his ukes?? I had one of us guitars and would love one of his use someday.

Just wanted to let anyone that's interested know that I sent this uke back to Guitar Salon International. It should be available through them shortly.
I did not want to part with it but I ended up with a spruce and rosewood uke from Pepe that I prefer over this koa one. I just couldn't keep them both and the spruce top really does it for me.
If you're in the market for a high-end uke, don't hesitate to give Pepe's ukes a try! Truly phenomenal work!

Ukulele Source has one in stock and three more due to come in.

OMG!!! More temptation out in the market!!! Good job for Pepe Jr. His family makes great instruments and I'd love to see it more widely spread in the uke world.

If anyone is looking to buy a Pepe Romero, PM me--I have one and would be happy to answer your questions. I have a brazilian rosewood and spruce top--it is an amazing instrument

Sorry to be a party pooper but when I clicked on the first of the soundclips my (pretty advanced) anti-virus detected and blocked malicious code.

Top Bottom