Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fast picking of one string.... how is it done!

Default fast picking of one string.... how is it done!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPWRG...Lupy57TtHyntLr

this is a link to a video of matt dahlberg playing his moore bettah. at 1:10 he does this fast single string strum technique and I want to know how it's done! any tips? anyone know of any good videos for learning?
    Mya Moe Tenor
    Luna High Tide Tenor
    Breedlove Pursuit Concert

I think it's just an up/down vibration of the thumb, braced with the first finger, sort of positioned like you're holding a pick. Be prepared for some forearm cramps.

How does he do it? Very Well. I saw a video (can't find it right now) of Jake Shimabukuro demontsrating this strum. What he's doing is bracing his middle and third fingers against the body, pinching the thumb and index finger together, as if holding a pick, to keep them rigid. Then, keeping his entire hand and wrist as stiff as possible, doing the strum with the elbow joint. Up, down, up, down... only faster than you just read that.

So. the tourist says to the fireman, "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
    And, the fireman says"Practice, practice, practice."
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Like many things, it's a technique, honed only by endless practice,

Many years ago when I started with guitar I Longed and longed to be able to pull a vibrato on blues licks. I mean those big wobbly wrist wobbling vibratos that needed you to hold the string and wobble the wrist. I was a fan of Peter Green and he did it so well. For months, perhaps years I couldn't do it, but stuck at trying. These days, whilst I M far from Peter Green, I can trigger a vibrato that works for me - it took time and practice.

Ive never been good at fast staccato picking but same rule applies.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

It's called tremolo. Here is a video of Aldrine demoing it.

http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/0...olo-technique/

I really have a lot to learn.....always a challenge to keep practicing.....would love to be able to play like that.
    "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time."Thomas Merton

Don't just practice, "as fast as I can go", start with eighth notes and get good. Then move to well defined 1/16 notes and get good at them. Then go to 1/32 notes. That way when you "arrive" your rhythm will be fluid and regular and not sound frantic and random.

Tremolo is very hard to master, when I was young (college student), I practiced this technique on guitar for almost a year, no success. (Recuerdos De La Alhambra is one of the tough piece to play, tremolo the entire song).
    Tremolo on mandolin is easier as it has double strings, and the player uses a pick and the wrist. It tooks me more than a year to tremolo allright on mandolin, very slow at first, then getting faster and faster.
    Guitar tremolo requires four fingers picking at very steady (short) interval. The tremolo practice technique suggested by Pondoro above is a very good technique, can't rush to the result.

I could not watch the you tube video during day time (at work), just watch it now and the fast picking here is tremolo ala mandolin style. Instead of a pick, I believe the player usesw one or two of his finger nails to pick the same note down and up to produce this sound.
    Very impressive playing.

Thread Information