Sneak preview new Koolau hand carved Archtop ukulele.

Great looking uke!! Also being a mandolin player I guess I have to question the idea behind an arch top uke. I'm not a design expert by any stretch, but arch top designs derive their sound by the amount of pressure the strings impart on the bridge as they run from the tail piece to the nut, along with top thickness, break angle of the strings over the bridge and few other things. On mandolins and arch top guitars, the 6 or 8 steel strings impart a great deal of pressure on the bridge, thus causing the top of the instrument (the sound board) to vibrate. I just wonder how much pressure 4 nylon type strings can impart on the top. With hand carved designs you can only go so thin or brace it very heavily, or else the top can sink. So I guess the question is, is this being done because it's different and looks cool, or is it really bringing something sonically superior to the party??

Any luthiers or sound engineers care to jump in on this??

I built my first arch top ukulele in June, 2009 and have built seven more since then. My background was building arch top mandolins and guitars so I have some experience with these instruments. If carved and graduated correctly, arch top ukes work quite well. Just like an arch top guitar, they are louder than a flattop, but have less sustain, which is what you want for a jazz instrument. To be sure, they are labor and materials intensive to build, and thus not cheap. As far as the string tension concern, Bob Benedetto and Steve Grimes have both built nylon string arch top guitars that work quite well, the secret is to carve things delicately.

Brad

Wow Mike lookin' great brah..I want one..:drool:Let me go count my change jar if I get enough kala to buy um..ha ha
Hey Brah, must be against the law fo you to go bust into the shop with a kanilea shirt..I know it is your disguise but
they might think you're a double agent..ha ha....;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom