Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Making a Pick Guard.

Default Making a Pick Guard.

I was wondering if anyone knew the best material to make a pick Guard out of. I was also thinking bout customizing it, and putting my own logo. Any thoughts?

I would think that you might need to use a dense wood, such as rose wood, or ebony so that it won't scratch easy.

I haven't personally done it, but you might talk to NukeDoc.
    He could point u in tha right direction.

Aloha
    Bob

I've never made one, but if I were to try I believe I'd look at vertical grade (thin) plastic laminate ("formica"). Tons of different colors, strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by acabooe View Post
    I would think that you might need to use a dense wood, such as rose wood, or ebony so that it won't scratch easy.

I haven't personally done it, but you might talk to NukeDoc.
    He could point u in tha right direction.

Aloha
    Bob
    Thanks a good Idea! I will talk to NukeDoc

Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    I've never made one, but if I were to try I believe I'd look at vertical grade (thin) plastic laminate ("formica"). Tons of different colors, strong stuff.
    thanks for your imput! I'll look that up right now!

Thanks again! I just looked it up, and we have that at our local Home Depot! I'm going to drive on over there once I finish up with what I am doing!
    Last edited by EleoCasil; 10-06-2008 at 05:05 PM.

hahaha you dont wanna talk to me about it. everything i do is ghetto stylee mickey mousing to the nth degree fa'sho!

i just used some floor tiling that i found at home depot. cut it into shape, and superglued it onto the ukes that i put them on.

but i dont condone this action. this can affect the tone. and if youre not very handy and crafty, you can easily make your uke look like dung.

do it the right way and use a thin, dense wood... or the clear mylar stuff thta dom pointed you towards. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by NukeDOC View Post
    hahaha you dont wanna talk to me about it. everything i do is ghetto stylee mickey mousing to the nth degree fa'sho!

i just used some floor tiling that i found at home depot. cut it into shape, and superglued it onto the ukes that i put them on.

but i dont condone this action. this can affect the tone. and if youre not very handy and crafty, you can easily make your uke look like dung.

do it the right way and use a thin, dense wood... or the clear mylar stuff thta dom pointed you towards. good luck.
    haha thanks man! so Dense wood huh? how does that contrast the wood of the Uke though? or they have them in many colors?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Stewmac have all the stuff you need but don't do it! If you must, use the clear plastic stuff over a stencil of your logo.

I have two Ukuleles by Kawika with Western Red Cedar tops. David Hurd uses clear contact paper as a pick guard. I have had one of my instruments for 10 years and have not taken off the pick guard which has done really well at protecting the surface from fingernail scratches and no noticeable negative effects on sound. I personally do not care for the look of a pic guard, whether it's wood or tile flooring, ha!
    "Fish Prints With Aloha"http://www.takeogyotaku.com
    Low G or High G? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC4VFON998
    Moore Bettah Tenor Review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFkOapP6FzM
    Savarez Alliance string review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzcyJmnetvg

Check out LMI (Luthiers Mercantile International). They probably sell what you need. I think attaching the pickguard might be tricky. Make sure you get the right adhesive. If you're thining about a clear guard, you might have serious problems with bubbles. Some people have told me that their local luthiers would not install a clear guard because of bubbles. If you want it clear, try cling-on material (LMI sells that too). You can stick it on to play and pull it off when you're finished. That gives you a lot of flexibility in case you change your mind.

Thread Information