Where/What to buy for 7th birthday

BasicUke

Reaction score
My son has been playing my not so friendly Hilo soprano and loves it. I want to get him his own uke for his 7th birthday.

I like the visual appeal of the smiley face uke or the dolphin, but I am concerned about setup. Is there a place that actually does setups on a dolphin before shipping them?

I checked Mim on eBay, HMS, Elderly, and Uke Republic, but none of them have the Dolphin.

Anyone know where to score a well setup dolphin? Any other uke I should consider for the boy? Something a bit on the flashy side yet under, say, $60?

Thanks!

Jim

What about a ukadelic? they have a ton of cool designs, in-stock at elderly, and a little better than a dolphin. Just an idea.

Something fruity?

I have one of these that I played for my daughter's second grade music class. http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/product_p/ka-wtml.htm They loved it! It always gets a "whoah, cool...it look's like a watermelon!" response from kids. It also sounds pretty great for a novelty uke. I recommend it. It's not under $60, but not much is that is worth playing in my opinion.

you could buy a dolphin or other Kala/ Makala off a place like Amazon for about $40, then take to someone if it needs to be set up. you might get lucky, but they often need to be lowered at the nut and or saddle. They have their fans and detractors, but I have one[a flashy red burst] and I really like it. they usually only need a little fine tuning.

Hi Jim

If you do get a Dolphin don't forget to get a good set of strings.

I have a Dolphin and put Aquilas on and they seriously make a big difference to the sound quality.

you could buy a dolphin or other Kala/ Makala off a place like Amazon for about $40, then take to someone if it needs to be set up. you might get lucky, but they often need to be lowered at the nut and or saddle. They have their fans and detractors, but I have one[a flashy red burst] and I really like it. they usually only need a little fine tuning.

I have had trouble finding anyone willing to work on an entry-level uke. Nobody local seems to do work on anything that doesn't have steel strings. That's why I was hoping to find a reputable place to buy it from, so it would come with a setup.

What about a ukadelic? they have a ton of cool designs, in-stock at elderly, and a little better than a dolphin. Just an idea.

It another $30. If I keep creeping up, I be getting him Mya-Moe for his first uke! ;) If I can't find something decent for $60, I'll road trip up to Elderly and grab one. Great idea!

Thanks Tim!

I will sell you mine, set up and strung with southcoast lights and a nice gig bag. red burst, a very flashy little dolphin.
pm,d you.

No mention of a Mainland Gecko yet?

Also I'd recommend giving Mim a call. She seems to have more ukes than are listed on her ebay storefront. She mentioned in the 6 Seasons contest thread that she's in the middle of a move, so she probably hasn't had time to take pics and upload everthing.

Also I'd recommend giving Mim a call. She seems to have more ukes than are listed on her ebay storefront. She mentioned in the 6 Seasons contest thread that she's in the middle of a move, so she probably hasn't had time to take pics and upload everthing.

You were right! Mim has 'em! She returned my call lightning-fast and was very helpful! Great price and, best of all, you know she'll set it up right!

Thanks for the suggestion! I wouldn't have thought of calling Mim, but I am glad I did!

Jim

Top Bottom