Help! What is James Hill doing in this video?

23skidoo

Reaction score
Maybe some of you more technical players can chime in and help me figure out the strum Mr. Hill uses in this video. I've watched it dozens of times - the chords are all pretty straightforward but - even excruciatingly slow - I can't for the life of me figure out the combination of thumb, index, and strum that he's using to get the distinctive sound of this tune.

Thanks in advance for any help!

It appears to be a modified clawhammer technique, but clawhammer is not my personal forte.

Yeah, it looks likes he's using the back of his nail to pick out melody notes like clawhammer - and droning with his thumb on the top string - but it also looks like he's strumming with the other fingers and maybe the thumb, too..... just hoping somebody will have better luck breaking the motion down and explaining it..... I don't have any reasonable expectation of being able to replicate this anytime soon, but I'd like to start working on it slowly.....

I've sat and watched him play from 4 foot away, and for the life of me I couldn't see how he made those sounds with what looked like so little movement.

Hey! It's James Hill, isn't it?

I read a quote from him somewhere regarding the magic being when you hear it but can't see how it's played...or something of that nature.

I continue to be astounded by this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u778gSi94N4

I have difficulty believing that he's playing solo.

Ingrate:

He relies on a series of pickups to do this. You couldn't do this in a feasible manner if you're playing acoustically

I've watched the video about 10 times now and I'm pretty sure he is playing the ukulele. Although it could also be some kind of Hill/DaSilva supernatural, sell your soul to the devil, dark art, black magic witchcraft...

I've watched it dozens of times - the chords are all pretty straightforward

Share chords? :)

Ingrate:

He relies on a series of pickups to do this. You couldn't do this in a feasible manner if you're playing acoustically

You are absolutely wrong!

Ukulefty - it's just F, Bb, and C, with lots of bells and whistles thrown in - a basic I IV V. His ukulele is tuned up to A D F#B, so if you want to play along, you can tune up a whole step, capo on 2, or just play G, C, and D - although trying to play the melody with the different shapes just doesn't sound the same..... I've just been playing it in F with standard tuning to get it figured out.....

You are absolutely wrong!

I have to agree with Ken on this one.

I CAN see what he is doing, more or less... describing it in words is another story, however. I would rather leave that to someone better versed in that particular style.

Ken - I was hoping you - or another of the gifted players who know and have actually been on stage with Mr. Hill - might weigh in..... any insight into what he's doing?

You are right about the chords. They are basically simple shapes (F, Bb and C), and, as you say, he is playing in the key of G. It is what he does with the chords in his left hand that make it complex. For instance, adding a +2 to the Bb shape. As with many of his songs (as opposed to instrumentals) his basic strum is often straightforward (not easy though). And yes, I do know what he is doing in the right hand. I would prefer not to say though. Sorry.

Last edited:
Frankly I'm a bit surprised Ken. But that's your call of course.

You are right about the chords. They are basically simple shapes (F, Bb and C), and, as you say, he is playing in the key of G. It is what he does with the chords in his left hand that make it complex. For instance, adding a +2 to the Bb shape. As with many of his songs (as opposed to instrumentals) his basic strum is often straightforward (not easy though). And yes, I do know what he is doing in the right hand. I would prefer not to say though. Sorry.

Since nobody seemed to want to step up to the plate, I just watched the video again, and you know what?... it really is not that complex a piece.

He is essentially alternating between plucking down on the g string with his thumb (a la clawhammer) and plucking up on the a string with one of his fingers (kind of reverse clawhammer-like), interspersed with normal, everyday stummin'.

Tie that together with some suspended 2nd and suspended 4th embelishments on the G chord, and you are pretty much there.

I can replicate the sound with just my index finger plucking AND strumming, so don't get all wrapped around the axle about doing it exactly like Jimmy Boy... find the way that works for you.

Don't be intimidated. Play along a few times, and I bet that you will get it. This ain't no rocket science, kids.

James has a very unique strum. He has several variations and practices them so that they look easy.
He worked with Mike DaSilva on the wedge design on the James Hill tenor model to accomodate his upstrokes.
He also has a real nack for modifying a chord just a touch to add flavor, along with his left hand technique of muting strings.
I have heard him play acoustically many times and he still sounds awesome.

Ken, I don't really see why you wouldn't share information like that. It's your call, though.

Anyway, to the OP, you could try emailing James, he might answer. He's a super nice guy (met him in person!), but he is busy, so you might not get an answer.

Anyway, I've long since given up trying to figure out James Hill strums. As for this one, I think he's throwing some clawhammer elements, since that's a technique he loves to use.

And to the guy who claims that James is using a pickup, you are out of your mind. I've heard James play live (not this song, but others of equal/greater complexity) and he is not using any technical trickery.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input..... and Wicked - that's the whole point of the exercise, trying to do it exactly like James Hill. I figured out the basic elements myself pretty quickly, similar to what you describe, it's just the fine detail of the strum I'm having trouble with. This has been my practice method lately - take a technical tune I really love and try to break it down and replicate it. If you look at my YouTube channel, I recently did this on guitar with Bob Dylan's 'Boots Of Spanish Leather'. My rendition is by no means a carbon copy, but I think I got pretty darn close to what he is doing on the original recording. Just trying to do the same thing here as a learning exercise.... imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all.

Thanks again to all who have chimed in - I appreciate the help and suggestions.....

I hear ya, Señor Skidoo... His exact technique isn't that far off. I started with the sound and rhythm, then worked back to his technique.

It is much easier to follow his hands later in the video when the song throttles back a bit.

Top Bottom