Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frets are damaging the wound string on my vintage banj-uke

RyanMFT Guest

Are the frets rough to the touch? I don't think dirty frets would have anything to do with your string getting chewed up. However, cleaned frets look and feel nice. I have cleaned the frets on all my vintage ukuleles. Here is what I do....

I use blue painter's tape and tear off two pieces each about two inches long. I lay the tape on each side of one fret to protect the fretboard. I then use 000 steel wool to rub down the fret to take off any grime or tarnish. Then I put some Brasso (a good general metal cleaner polish in the U.S.) on a soft cloth and then rub the fret down with that. Careful to only use a bit of Brasso for each fret as you don't want liquid wicking down between fret and fretboard. Then, wipe it off, and gently remove tape....then move to the next fret. If the tape starts to wear as you go, replace it with fresh tape.

If the surface of the frets is rough, you might have to be a little more aggressive, but the above steps will create beautiful, clean frets. I'd stay away from toothpaste. I don't think it will hurt but it is thick and will work as a bit of a polish but might leave more mess.....good luck

Thank you RyanMFT! I'll do exactly as you say; we have Brasso here too - and if the frets feel sharp at all after that I'll have to take her for some professional attention! I can see where I'm going now - what a great forum this is! Thanks everyone who has posted here for me today! I raise a glass!
    Favourite uke - DJ Morgan long neck soprano
    Favourite banjo uke - vintage Gibson UB2

My blog lifesaukafrolic.blogspot.co.uk

Just to report back on my frets, for those who gave me advice! I found a local luthier, (lucky me) and took my 90 year old Slingerland for him to have a look at this afternoon. The frets do need leveling as one or two have lifted a bit, and flattening - he's going to do that for me as well as sort out the action and a couple of other minor bits and bobs. She'll be playing like a dream when he's done! (He said it's in fab condition for its age - he said it only looks about 5yrs old!) Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyfoodstamp View Post
    D6 Concert High A fluorocarbons http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/stringsAccessories.php

It sounds like you need more then a cleaning. My frets are sort of sharp on my old Slingy too. Any luthier should be able to fix that and usually uke repair is pretty cheap because they are so small.
    The luthier is having my uke tomorrow to fix up, and I've just sent for some of those strings you recommended! Can only but try them out! Thanks for all your input, much appreciated!

Thread Information