Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Revisiting An Old Friend...

Default Revisiting An Old Friend...

When I started over again over 4 years ago, my second uke was a
    Oscar Schmidt OU5 and I played it just a few times...and it sat dormant
    in it's case ever since..this morning I picked it up and opened the dusty
    case and played it..now alot more experienced, I enjoyed and appriciate
    it alot more..before I thought it was was too muted but it had great intonation..now I see if I attack the strings a little harder, it's better..
    My question to you all, have you ever overlooked a uke because you
    got caught up in the snobby uke craze "I want a more better and expensive uke"? lesson learned..

I have. But, I try to beat it, and play "Iz" & Ku'u poki'i every week or so. I still love those two Ohanas, and they play so nice, and sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    When I started over again over 4 years ago, my second uke was a
    Oscar Schmidt OU5 and I played it just a few times...and it sat dormant
    in it's case ever since..this morning I picked it up and opened the dusty
    case and played it..now alot more experienced, I enjoyed and appriciate
    it alot more..before I thought it was was too muted but it had great intonation..now I see if I attack the strings a little harder, it's better..
    My question to you all, have you ever overlooked a uke because you
    got caught up in the snobby uke craze "I want a more better and expensive uke"? lesson learned..
    Mahalo Ke Akua
    ------------------
    Ohana SK-35 a.k.a. "IZ"
    Ohana SK-21 a.k.a. "Ku'u poki'i <Kapookie>"
    Lanikai LU-21 a.k.a. "Cinderella"
    Epiphone Les Paul Concert Uke "Lil' Lester"
    Harmony Banjo Uke a.k.a. "Bango"
    Gibson Les Paul a.k.a. "Hobo Ted"
    Epiphone Les Paul Studio a.k.a. "Barnabas"
    Epiphone Les Paul a.k.a. "Blaze"
    Gretsch Tenor Banjo a.k.a. "Jed"
    Supertone 406, 5 string Banjo a.k.a. "GrandPa Jones"
    Fernendes Telecaster "Suemeh"

Aloha Stan. Nice topic. But I can never go back and play my first uke, it sounds that bad. As a matter of fact, I named it Dog Shit.

Aloha BigT,
    Yeah Bruddah, I remember dat uke..Yes Yes cannot foget...ahhh
    Aloha Bruddah D,
    Ha Ha...wen you git 3 moore bettah's ..I guess it's so hard to go back..eh Ha ha that name..really..
    I'm sure Bruddah Tony or I can make it sound way better ...give Bruddah Tony a holler..he can save her..
    Last edited by mm stan; 03-18-2012 at 02:36 PM.

I bought a Lanikai electric acoustic with Low G. I have always liked that uke.

Its interesting the comment about attacking the strings. I did that after some of my used ukes I bought had serious marks on them so what the hell - play it hard and wow, fun and a real musicality sound to it .

Nice one, Stan. After reading the thread, I pulled out my Hilo soprano that I got at a gas station in Kauai. It's been sitting in the closet for months and the darn thing was still in tune. Intonation is absolutely horrible up the scale, but as a 1st fret strummer... it's great. It was the uke that started it all for me. Been through a lot of ukes since then (and more to come for sure) but that one will never go. Thanks for the reminder!
    -bill

Relationship status: Kamaka HF-3 Tenor, Kamaka HF-36 Lili'u Tenor, Mainland Mahogany Soprano, Fluke Hibiscus, Farnsworth 2000 Soprano, Hilo Soprano (you never forget your first)

Previous Relationships: Collings UT1-Koa, Koaloha Pineapple Sunday, Pono AT-SHC Tenor, Pono MHT-SH Tenor, Pono MPT-SH Tenor, Favilla Baritone, Mainland Red Cedar Concert, KoAloha Longneck Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by dkcrown View Post
    Aloha Stan. Nice topic. But I can never go back and play my first uke, it sounds that bad. As a matter of fact, I named it Dog Shit.
    Haha!!! Tell us how you really feel

Hippie Dribble Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mm stan View Post
    have you ever overlooked a uke because you
    Hey Stan! I think my tendency is more to overlook ukes that I don't find as 'good looking'. As far as price goes, no. One of my fave ukes is one of the first I ever bought...a Les paul copy mahalo soprano. was $65 and to this day is still one of my nicest sounding ukes. actually this one gets plenty of love even though to me it's ugly. For some reason eugenie loves this one lots too...she likes to take strays under her wing...that's why she tolerates me I guess. nice thread Bruddah. I guess as we improve as players we must also get better at extracting the most from our instruments, eh, whatever be their cost or drawbacks in construction.

lol, my first uke is a Mahalo Les Paul copy and it is also one of my best sounding uke. It gets plenty of strum time with junior.
    一期一会

My 1st uke still gets played regularly. I had trouble bonding with a uke I had gotten later in "uke-life". Put it away for a few months and when I pulled it out I found my tastes had changed. I played more music/different kinds and this little uke had a very nice personality for certain songs. Gotta say I have to play before buy now. The only winner I got that I purchased without playing is my Koaloha concert sceptre I got from dkcrowne. That baby is a winner.
    Enjoy life, it's temporary.

Thread Information