The new Aquila unwound string 'Red Series' for Baritone DGBE tuning

I reviewed the concert scale version on the Ukulele cosmos if anyones interested. I'm still using it and its fantastic!! Sounds great plugged in too. Really smooth and pure.

Aloha Mimmo,
I just got my popcorn....Hee Hee where can I get these now...wouldn't mind trying them...

I'm sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know where I can get these strings? I've tried a search here at UU and I get a lot of threads that don't seem to address the issue.

For reasons that still are unclear to me, the wound strings on my baritone corrode quickly (even in the packages!) and on the instrument they develop some sticky gunk after a while, and they lose their tone fairly quickly. The wound strings on my classical guitars don't corrode like that, so there's something else at play.

At any rate, I like the idea of an all-unwound set for baritone tuned DGBE, and the ones in Mimmo's video sound good. I don't mind buying singles, but it's not clear which ones work best for the D and G strings.

Just replaced the wound strings on my Mainland baritone with Living Waters (see Ken Middleton site) fluorocarbon. He carries both re-entrant an low D. NIce mellow sound.

Dan

I don't think these are in the Aquila catalogue anymore (unless I missed them), which might indicate that they have been discontinued.

Personally, none of the unwound D and G strings I tried satisfied me - very thuddy higher up the neck. I even don't care for the fluorocarbon Bs too much (the red one is great, however). Since you mentioned guitar strings, you can use those for wound D and G strings. The Thomastik-Infeld classical guitar set works (chromatic something, can't look it up right now), but I think any light or medium tension set will be OK. The Aquila red set for baritone (with two wounds) works fine for me, though. (I bought some Dunlop StringCleaner 65.)

Top Bottom