Real Mahogany

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
I recieved a genrous donation of a guitar maker's offcuts of reclaimed Cuban Mahognay. I understand entirely now why Chippendale used this wood and how superior it is to any other type of mahogany. I put a first coat of epoxy on it and it just popped like no other wood. No need to stain since it instantly took on the hue of an 18th Century piece of furniture. The Brazilian mahogany neck looks positively anaemic against it. With a Madagascar rosewood fingerboard and cocobolo bridge it looks great. I'll post some pics when it is finished.

I can't wait to see the pics of that lovely Cuban Mahogany!

No fair telling us how beautiful it is and then leaving us to imagine what you're seeing. I hope you post pictures soon. I really am interested in seeing that wood.

Someone just contacted me with a line on some Cuban Mahogany to build a plinth from, payment is going to be in Cuban Mahogany..

I think there is a difference between the stuff you get now and that which was used 200 years ago which my stuff is... non plantation, slow growth forest wood.

Yes, but this stuff came from a pretty famous tree, cant say more..

My understanding is that Cuban mahogany (at least swientenia mahogani) has been harvested to extinction and that it is very difficult to grow in a plantation setting. Any source must be from either a very old log or old furniture being re-purposed.

Cuban Mahogany is Swietania mahogani. In antique furniture it's generally known as Santo Domingo Mahogany, and it was most frequently found in the Caribbean.

You can find it in other places as well. It grows in Central America, and even in the U.S. in South Florida. The biggest native stands were in Cuba until the 1950's and 60's. In return for propping up the operation of their government, the Cubans cut and shipped most of it to the Soviet Union (along with sugar cane and cigars).

It's not generally known, but the largest stands of it are now in Indonesia. The Dutch had Caribbean colonies, and being the plantsmen that they are, and recognizing the fabulous qualities of the wood, they transported shiploads of seedlings to their East Indian Colony.

It flourished and is widespread in that country. Not being fools, the Indonesians do not permit it to be cut and sold as lumber, only as finished goods. One possibility to get some fairly cheap is to go to a store that sells Indonesian import furniture. It's not usually very expensive. Look for something that is made up of the proper size woods and salvage it. By the way, expect it to be poorly dried.

The wood is almost as dense as a rosewood, can often have a bit of purpulish tinge, usually has a dark, well marked swirl grain pattern, but is generally much easier to work than rosewood. Although I've handled a lot of the furniture, we've never (yet) built an instrument from it - I would expect it to have a lot of rosewood characteristics.

What? Big leaf mahogany(Swietenia macrophylla) is not real?

There are lots of Swietenia mahagoni and Swietenia macrophylla grown in Taiwan. S. macrophylla is usually straighter and grows faster so it's more common in campus or parks. I have planted a S. macrophylla seedling in the nearest park and it starts to shoot when spring comes.

Last edited:
It was almost 3 years ago that I obtained a mahogany fireplace surround on e-bay..in the end I got 17 soprano ukes out of it, they were some of the best sounding ukes i've made so far...I tracked the fire surround down on the internet and found it was most likely an export from Indonesia..could this have been made from Swietenia ? here's a pic of one.
PICT4400.jpg

Yes Tim, that sure looks like Cuban.
The lumber coming to the US now is from Palau.
http://www.bluemoonexoticwood.com/pricelist.html
A little wood is found in Florida and is salvaged hurricane blown trees.
Best of the best is Cuban, 'specially for ukes.

Here in Florida, Cuban grows as far north as south St Pete and seems to grow pleantifly in the miami/west palm beach area. The permitting process to remove one is fairly stringent. I got a piece from a tree that was just south of tampa Bay, It really is a joy to work with. Ill plst pick when I get it finished up.

THE CASE AGAINST MAHOGANY

Can someone distinguish the timber of Swietenia mahogani from S. macrophylla? I know the latter generally can be faster growing under ideal conditions, but that's not always the case.

My daughter brings me some fresh seeds of S. macrophylla today, and last time(yesterday) I check, the nearest S. mahogani was just developing buds.

That is a really old rant Chih-Wei. With the export and import of mahogany now severely restricted I'd say that relative to what it was, the situation has improved slightly. My mahogany is all old and reclaimed like the snooker table legs - 30 years old and ideal neck material and the concert, reclaimed from a piece of 18th Century furniture...

Top Bottom