Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Embarassment?

Default Ukulele Embarassment?

Hey folks, new around here but I've been interested in the uke for a long while. I got a Lanikai LU-21P for Chrismas and I really love it. I still can't play for anything, but I am quite happy with my uke. Sure I'd love a Fluke or something more expensive, but until I can actually play I don't see the point unless I can actually figure out IF I can grasp the whole string instrument thing.

Here's where the embarassment comes from. I want to get a new set of strings on my uke, I'm just not happy with the ones on it currently. There's a fantastic place near me that will restring, but I kinda feel lame bringing in my $65 uke in for restringing.

My boyfriend has the same anxiety bring his Mexican made Strat in for work, and I tell him he's being ridiculous. I'm being ridiculous aren't I?

ha yeah, thats ridiculous to think that way, musicians are not one to make fun of each other for skill or what type of instrument you are playing, i would say i'd give you more respect for playing a cheaper instrument and still make it sound good. But i'd advise you to try and string your uke yourself cuz its not that hard, google some picture tutorials.
    Keep it Funky, keep it sweet. Keep it UKE.

unless its a tie on restringing. those are hard. lol

nukedoc did a video on restringing. you might want to check that out. it's a great how-to with a really awesome peg-turner lol.

here's his thread:
    http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/fo...read.php?t=595

the youtube link is in there too but just in case you want to go straight to the vid:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaawMj6W1dY

it doesn't matter how much the uke is. They'll understand considering your a beginner. Plus I know alot of musicians that play on some pretty cheap instruments, but they play like pros and bring them in to be restrung and setup. Yeah and I agree with the rest though, restringing a uke isn't that hard. Check out Nuke's tutorial.
    Twitter
    Youtube
    Ukes:
    Taira (Lanikai LU-21TE/BK) [Signed and Enjoying]

Talking

Just restring it yourself. Its not that hard to do, tripl3thr33 wrote in his post about the restring vid. watch it and be confident in yourself. and about the 65$ ukulele, hey i have one that was 35$ and i still play it and it sounds good.....

Howlie Boy
    I Was a post whore. But im back so lets see what we can do to become one again...

it would be nice one time to see the actual stringing process but after that, it shouldnt be that hard. i got some aquila strings for my uke and i strung it myself, and it wasnt that bad

Go ahead, don't be ashame ...
    And if you feel you can do it yourself, just do !!
    You'll be proud to tell your friends you string your own uke.
    Peace & Uke

no feel shame. I felt da same way too. I needed fo restring my low-G tenor to high-G, maybe not needed, wanted wanted ;-) an I neva know now fo do um. Hea's some nice online instructions you can check out ...

http://www.ukuleles.com/SetupnCare/stringtie.html
    http://www.ukuleleworld.com/string_uke.jpg

Both of these really wen help me choke! Not to mention it might save you $65 :-) Have fun!
    If can, can. If no can, no can.

replacing strings isnt rocket science, but i can see how it can be confusing. but trust me, you are better off just figuring out how to do it yourself, instead of paying someone good money to do it for you.

just buy yourself a new set of strings. and do one string at a time.

first take some time to look at how your string is set up on the uke. notice how one end is tied to the bridge. now look at the other end that is wrapped around the tuning post. try to see if you can see how it is attached to the tuning post.

now take your replacement string and have it ready. loosen the string by turning the tuners down but leave the string attached at that end. undo the end at the bridge only. by undoing it you will be able to see how to redo it with the new string. do it. now go back up to the tuning post and undo that one. same deal. attach the end of the new string in the same manner. tighten, tune, stretch, tune, lather, rinse, repeat, enjoy.

Thread Information