Tell me how the Ukulele has enriched your Life..

I have been a professional musician (jazz piano) since the mid-1980s, and always loved it. Then, in 2007, my youngest boy, then aged 9, was severely injured in a car accident. He has had to learn everything anew; to raise his head, walk, talk, eat and drink - and more. When this happened, I lost interest in everything. After being there for the boy, all energy was spent. Even music was of no importance. My rediscovery of the ukulele last year, after not having played it for more than 30 years, has helped me back into a musical life, a life in which I am able to be a father and husband again, and to be a man who can see how privileged he is. And my boy; he's almost fully recovered, and getting better...

Aloha Doc,
Sorry to hear about your son and nice to hear he is recovering and getting better... I am also glad you got
back to the music , piano and ukulele, and I can see your passion there..Your CD is amazing with different types of songs..Do you sell them? you are truely blessed to get both of your lives back on track...Thank you for sharing...Happy Strummings

I've never been musical, in fact I pretty much flunked piano lessons as a kid, and I never thought I would have music in my life. About a year ago, this little 4-stringed wonder found me and at age 54 I'm making music, or at least it sounds like music to me! It makes me happy just thinking about it.

Sometimes I wish I'd found the ukulele 30 years ago, but then I realize that a huge reason I'm playing today is the incredible online ukulele community. I wouldn't have even tried to learn without all the information and encouragement available here on UU and other awesome ukulele sites.

Like all of you the uke has awakened creative energy in me that I never knew existed. I've always loved music and like to sing songs but never seemed to be able to master, hah master isn't the right expression, I never seemed to get *anywhere* on the guitar. About a year ago my younger daughter (15) and I spent 10 weeks in New Zealand and I took a uke with me because I thought, well without distractions maybe I can learn to play this thing. And the rest, as they say is history. My daughter started playing too, so that's a lifelong gift for her. As for me, although I've started in my mid-50's, I can actually play music to accompany my singing and uking has added a dimension to my life that I didn't know existed. And it has been nice meeting all sorts of new and helpful people here on UU. My heart goes out to those of you with kids that have health problems or with health problems yourself and it is gratifying to hear how the uke can bring happiness even when times are difficult. Keep on strumming everyone, g2

It would be easier and quicker to say how the ukulele hasn't enhanced my life. Because there are so many ways it has been so good for me. Aside from the the fact that I have made a few friends far and wide across the globe and some even close to home.
I have had my own difficulties in the past few years and even just playing one song, chord whatever is a nice spot of relaxation in my day.
Not only have I made uke friends, but some local have turned into yarn friends, share a meal and a chat friends too. Awesome.. After years of following my Navy husband around the country it has definitely taken it's toll on me. I had envy to other that played instruments, I have watched my 3 kids learning more instruments than I can ever imagine. I always wanted to play, a friend of mine from college shared a video of three ladies playing ukulele's (a song that has great memories for us from college radio days) and I thought I could do that (except the singing part) So after a few years I decided it was time to learn and I got a uke of my own. It's been a year and half now.
I joined this forum about the same time that I got my first uke. I have friends here that write, keep up with me and encourage me to keep going and persevere through the feeling stuck. I am working on learning some theory so I understand the uke better.
There is so much more, some very private and personal to me, but thank you to all that keep the forum going and to the many friends that make each day a little better for having you all in it! I am rambling now I know it. It's early!

Great topic, Stan.

1. When I was very young, Mom got us a couple of uke lessons one summer. I ended up teaching myself guitar and balalaika after that and enjoyed playing in college. Sadly, a busy career in engineering and finance led to me dropping the uke and guitar and just playing piano and singing for some time afterwards. But it really was fun in school.

FAST FORWARD 40 years..........

2. I was recently widowed (almost exactly a year today) and my late husband enjoyed music as much as I did. He loved guitar more than I do and he had a guitar he never had time to learn to play. I decided I needed a distraction while I was moping in mourning (a tough time, you get so foggy and sad when you go through this.) So I found this site surfing around and listening to Jake S. That led me to buy a beautiful Mainland uke for my birthday and start playing again. It has been very soothing and helpful in distracting me from grief and has been a source of joy--how can you be sad playing the uke? And I also started singing again, something I had not done in thirty years. I don't have the power I had as a youth due to asthma but you know, it DOESN"T matter. Make music, make happy.

My only regret is that as my assistant shrewdly pointed out, I would not have found the uke again had I not been looking for that distraction but I regret my late husband isn't here to enjoy it too. He would have SO MUCH FUN playing. Or accompanying me with his digeridoo.

Last edited:
How has it enriched my life? Good question, Stan!

It's given me back to the chance to make music
It's given me something to share with my Nan before she died, something that brought her comfort
It's given me friends, an online ohana as it were, friends who I hold dearly near my heart.
It's given me the ability to deal with stress, a strum here, a chord there.
It's given me a way to take my mind away from the pain, the illnesses and everything about them in my life.
It's allowed me to share with people, who watch me learn
And many other things!

Thank you all of UU for enriching my life!

@loha Can't Sing,
I am glad you found the ukulele and it brings you happiness and enjoyment..I too have a weak voice and the
uke has though me how to sing better(I think?)ha ha in my mid fifties too and us middle ager ukers rock..
you are right, I appriciate UU community and UU, made alot of dear friends and learned alot..
the uke..easy to play, hard to master, tons of fun....

Aloha Gary,
Like you, I played the guitar and got nowhere close to where I am now with the uke...and this is way more
fun and a great uke community..it got me singing too.. ha ha I'm am glad to hear you and your daughter
have connected with the uke at the same time..there will be so much memories and fun in the years ahead..
Happy strummings...

Aloha Gwynedd,
I too picked up my uke for a distraction from my fathers passing a few years ago..after he passed away, I found
his old uke books in his room. I asked my cousin to play at his service(over 45 yrs)he played..I got so choked
how beautiful it sounded, I picked it up again..It did help fill my greiving period and distracted me too..Like you,
I wish I picked it up years earlier and I wish I could play with my father before he passed away. it would have
made him very happy..I am sorry to hear about your hubby's passing..my sincerest condolences..it's never too
late to play music or the ukulele...look at Bill Tapia..wow thank you for sharing..

Aloha Joey,
Thank you for sharing..both of us have serious health issues and I am sure the ukulele has not only been so
much fun and enjoyment but also distracted from our health anxieties.. I know you are really in love with
playing the ukes as I can see the passion you have...thank you for being a great friend too..you go girl...
Keep Strumming them strings..

Aloha Bruddah Stan. Nice topic. As I stated recently in another thread, the uke has helped pull me out of despair after a life changing divorce. Discovering the ability to be creative musically is very empowering, and consuming!

Aloha Fitncrafty,
I am happy you have found the ukulele too girl...I know how much passion you have for it too...I see how
you can connect with your kids too as they learn music too..wow all the fun times and memories ahead...
thank you for helping me too and being a great friend also.. I only wish we lived closer so we can play
together..as with all of the members too..Happy Strummings..

Aloha Stan, great thread (again)

The ukulele has rekindled a passion for making music that I lost over 30 years ago. I drink less and my blood pressure is down. I got to play to a friend dying of cancer and hopefully help ease the pain. I have a greater appreciation for woods and luthiery. A friend in need of a guitar got one that was collecting dust in my corner. I have met countless people/friends from around the world, expanding my understanding and tolerance of things. And, and, and I could go on for a long time!

Much Mahalo

Aloha Vanflynn,
Sorry to hear your friend has cancer....hope he pulls through....that was nice you played for him, maybe do
it more often and play songs you both can sing too..that would be nice..Glad to hear you cut down drinking and
your blood pressure is down..I'd say keep strumming them strings...and stay on path..I too have gained so much
from the ukulele too...happy strummings my friend...Mahalo Plenty...

My relatively short life has been a sequence of less than desirable events that would take too long to recount here. General overview, my family is in a rough spot right now due in part to my father's substance abuse issues that have been around for most of my life that I can remember. I've dealt with all the typical teenage issues, insecurity and whatnot. But music is something I can do for me, without having to worry about fitting in or competition. I'm not the best player, I'm certainly not the best singer (borderline worst ;) ...), but music is something that can make me happy when almost nothing else can. I can play my ukulele and everything's okay, just for a little while. I believe that the ability to create music is one of God's greatest gifts to us. It's an almost magical thing.

On top of that, I have memories attached to my Kamaka. It was a year from last October that my grandmother encouraged me to buy it, and in fact loaned me the money to make the purchase when a good deal presented itself. This past summer while I was on an extended backpacking trip, my grandmother (a smoker of 55 years) was diagnosed with lung cancer. By the time they diagnosed it, there were already tumors in her brain. When I got back from my trip, she wasn't the same energetic person I had always known. She was in a wheelchair, and seemingly for the first time in her life, tired. I was able to play for her days before she passed away suddenly, much sooner than expected. She loved it, and was glad she had urged me to buy it.

As a result of my grandmother being diagnosed and passing, my grandfather was moved into a nursing home. It was about December when we received a call that he wasn't doing well and they didn't expect him to make it much longer. We stayed with him all week, and I was able to play for him on his deathbed.

As hard as it was to lose them, I'm glad I have those memories attached to my music. It gives me a reason to play. I love making music, I've met so many awesome people through the ukulele, and I've been able to change people's opinions of an instrument. All of those things mean the ukulele has totally changed my life.

My relatively short life has been a sequence of less than desirable events that would take too long to recount here. General overview, my family is in a rough spot right now due in part to my father's substance abuse issues that have been around for most of my life that I can remember. I've dealt with all the typical teenage issues, insecurity and whatnot. But music is something I can do for me, without having to worry about fitting in or competition. I'm not the best player, I'm certainly not the best singer (borderline worst ;) ...), but music is something that can make me happy when almost nothing else can. I can play my ukulele and everything's okay, just for a little while. I believe that the ability to create music is one of God's greatest gifts to us. It's an almost magical thing.

On top of that, I have memories attached to my Kamaka. It was a year from last October that my grandmother encouraged me to buy it, and in fact loaned me the money to make the purchase when a good deal presented itself. This past summer while I was on an extended backpacking trip, my grandmother (a smoker of 55 years) was diagnosed with lung cancer. By the time they diagnosed it, there were already tumors in her brain. When I got back from my trip, she wasn't the same energetic person I had always known. She was in a wheelchair, and seemingly for the first time in her life, tired. I was able to play for her days before she passed away suddenly, much sooner than expected. She loved it, and was glad she had urged me to buy it.

As a result of my grandmother being diagnosed and passing, my grandfather was moved into a nursing home. It was about December when we received a call that he wasn't doing well and they didn't expect him to make it much longer. We stayed with him all week, and I was able to play for him on his deathbed.

As hard as it was to lose them, I'm glad I have those memories attached to my music. It gives me a reason to play. I love making music, I've met so many awesome people through the ukulele, and I've been able to change people's opinions of an instrument. All of those things mean the ukulele has totally changed my life.

Aloha Phil,
My sincere condolences to you and your family of the sudden passing of your grandparents..that was nice
she encouraged you to buy and play the ukulele...and you got to play for them, you did a real good thing
life is short..I've learned you gotta do things now, and enjoy yourself and share with your family and friends.
Happy Strummings.. hope you pop gets help too my blessings

Philpot, the uke that means the most to me was also a gift from my grandfather, who like your grandmother, was the only family member to take my interest in uke seriously. And like your grandmother, died of lung cancer. I wasn't allowed to go home, I'd add too much stress to the situation, but I have this uke, and that's something.

Top Bottom