Favorite playing furniture?

ryanvt

Reaction score
I'm wondering what people prefer to sit, lay, prop themselves up on when you play.

I find myself playing on the couch or recliner regularly though I find I play better standing or sitting on my "stool" I made out of small logs.

My favorite playing "furniture" is deffinatly a hammock come summertime.

I prefer to sit on the floor to play at home but will use a chair when forced to at uke club meetings.

This is an interesting topic. Never really thought about it much. When I play at home, in my "studio", I sit on a loveseat in front of my 'puter, and watch lessons on You Tube. Or, I go to the living room (music room) and sit on a very comfy chair and slouch in it and strum away... when I'm out, I look for whatever chair I can find that might be the most comfy. I played for a family whose loved one had just passed this afternoon, and stood, they were all standing. They had requested "Music therapy".

I usually play in either my office chair or the couch in my office at home. I tend to play with the uke low (more classical guitar style I guess) so I really want to get a foot stool. Right now I tend to prop one foot up on the other.

I have a glider rocking chair that I usually play in at home. I play there so often that I set up a music stand and a bookshelf by the chair just for my songbooks, tuner, extra strings and other ukulele necessities. Great thread!

Nix

I have only been playing the uke for a fortnight (which is awesome because I rarely get to say "fortnight") and I find I am comfy on my folding camp stool.
TSF-1314C_2.jpg

The person who taught me to play the dumbek taught upright posture as a necessity for good drumming and it seems I am more focused with the uke that way.
But as I have only been playing for a fortnight, who knows what the next fortnight may bring.

Attachments

• TSF-1314C_2.jpg
    TSF-1314C_2.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 4
I tend to use a footstool mostly, but I do my very best work in the office...

DSCF4654.jpg

:)

I have those piano stools with the compartment for sheet music. Best quality Jansen.

I like them a lot unless I happen to kick one going by, now that's PAIN. They are very solid and no arms or back to constrict your arms.

Even though they are solid, they can squeak just a tiny bit, so I stopped using them for recording. For recording I sit on a 5 gallon paint bucket with a small pillow on it. One piece, and very quiet.

Living on a tiny, tiny boat (the whole living area is 19' x 6'), I'm rather limited. There is the bed. Or the chair.

The chair is best. But I do much of my practice in bed, because playing is my favourite way of starting or finishing the day.

You remind me, I need to replace my piano bench; it's the standard one Yamaha sends out but there is the more usual "concert" style that can be adjusted in height.

As to playing, I often play in bed and I can tell from Youtube I am not alone in this amusing practice. The uke, being small, lends itself to hammocks, beds, pouffes, hassocks, couches, stools and even a pillow on the floor. I play in the car, too. Wherever I get the urge to strum.

I find that whether I am in bed, on the couch, my porch chair, or work chair it doesnt matter as long as I use my uke thong. The lawn lounge chair is not comfortable, though.

Kitchen chair with a table-top sheet music holder in front. Notebook or iPad and coffee on the table off to one side. Dog on the floor nearby. On the lanai with similar setup outdoors.

On a footstool with the music on the couch a little bit higher in front of me.
Or lying on the daybed watching guilty-pleasure TV (good for practicing strums).
Or in the armchair in the office while looking out the window.

My best singing is when the house is empty. :D

Kiddie Pool + Underpants + Beer + Plastic Uke = TOTAL WIN

The dock or an adirondack chair on the beach are the spots I most often play as soon as it is war enough for me to tolerate being out. When the weather doesn't allow that, the couch is just fine.

Sometimes I sit upon a box
Sometime I play while on my walks
Sometimes on the porch with Sam I Am
after we eat green eggs and ham.

So far, at one time or another I've probably left a uke on just about every piece of furniture in the house. So far, not of them has played the uke. The closest was the computer table in my office when it dropped the uke leaned against it to the floor... I guess you could call that a very short 1-chord (Am7) song.

Top Bottom