Favorite playing furniture?

I played on the edge of my bed for almost 6 months. I was having really bad back pain and didn't know why and realized it was from sitting on the edge of the bed and playing. I bought a Pick and Glide chair and my back pain was gone and I can sit in it for hours and play and no back pain. Best chair I ever bought or owned.

I usually play sitting on my bed.

I also used to play this way. I'm sure a lot of people do :) But I've recently ordered a new office chair at Shoplet (here is a review https://shoplet.pissedconsumer.com/review.html if someone is interested). It is very comfortable. I work sitting on it, so I started playing the uke there. I got used to the new place pretty fast, I should say.

Coming from the guitar (so cumbersome), it’s easier to identify things I DON’T like to play and be on and that’s just anything with a narrow seat and arms. I can deal with either, but not both.

Beyond that, I record on a desk chair that has arms that fold up (that’s breaking now, but $40 for nine years isn’t bad!) and I relax on my couch or the chair on the porch mostly. I also do a lot of arranging on a stool at the kitchen counter so I have space for all the paper, books, iPad, yadda yadda yadda.

I haven’t tried a hammock yet, but it’s on my list. I just need to move someplace a little further from the sun and with more trees to tie them to. ;-)

I'm usually sitting when I play with a group because we play for over an hour. My back doesn't like standing for an hour or two. Some people in my group prefer standing, though. Of course, for public performances, we're usually standing.

I mostly play standing or walking around the room. I find it much better for form and, in theory, if I ever perform it will be standing up...so I'm just logging in hours for that muscle memory. However, there is a rocking chair next to my manhasset music stand and fretboard chart. I will sit on the edge of the rocking chair when I'm consulting my music book for arpeggio or scale shapes

I need my computer or iPad in front or me while I play. My lead sheets are digitized in the form of pdf files. I can't remember the chords to songs or the lyrics without that kind of help. So, that pretty much dictates what chair I sit on. Usually my desk chair, or some straight back, armless chair elsewhere.

I like to play in any armless chair, but prefer an armless desk chair with adjustable height & that can lean back.

My favorite playing furniture is the sofa.

John Colter

Top Bottom