Kala ukadelic/novelty

I have the Tiki King and Tattoo models...they are good for daily play, practice, or to learn on...sound decent too. However mine now basically just hang on the wall. I just dont play any Saprano ukes anymore. Probably gonna wind up selling them sooner or later to get a Concert or Tenor. The action on them is alittle high, but not bad. They really just look cool though.

Some people like them, some don't. But, from everything I've seen, Kalas are consistent. If you've ever played a laminate Kala soprano, the Ukadelic will probably be exactly the same. Probably a terrific starter uke. (I think they look fantastic.)

Hi Britanny, what are u playing now? I test drove a few ukadelics, they look cool and they are just okay but I'm not sure if they are better than what u have.

The new Ukadelics aren't shipping yet, but should be within the next couple weeks (so I'm told). I'd wait to buy until then, as there may be some design changes. You can probanly get a better sounding uke for the money (think Islander), but you'll have a hard time finding a uke with as much character.

FWIW, I designed the USA one as part of a contest, and I'm excited that it made your short list! :D

Last edited:
hey Brittany,

my faves are the green paisley and the swirl designs. They do look great for sure :)

I have noticed some intonation problems on the Ukadelics I have seen. It could be due to lack of set up, or bad strings. I like the night scene and the tie die ones.

I have a Kala Kiwi from 2 years ago, and it is a much nicer ukulele. It really sounds pretty good, especially with Worth Clear strings.
My choice between the two would be the Kiwi. My review of the Kiwi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RfRzMW1t0&list=UU5rh_i-MPkvdnPuUVT_lFLw&index=11&feature=plcp

–Lori

Eugene, I own a few ukes but my favorite by far is my Mainland mahogany tenor w/ slotted headstock. It's amazing, but I just really love the way these guys look, and being Kala, they can't sound too bad either!

I have a Mainland Hog tenor w/slot too! I would say the ukadelics would most likely become a wallhanger for you when the novelty of it wears off. If you want a real instrument with some flavor, consider the Flea or Fluke :)

Ukadelic paisley

I have the paisley kala and its my favourite above all of them. It plays perfectly and is fairly loud. No fret buzz and is an perfect little ukulele.
I have no bad things to say it. It's perfect

I have had the Kiwi and the Pineapple then sold them on to our friends children,
not because I didn't like them but because I wanted them to enjoy them as much as I did.

I still own the water melon and I play it for the seasons of the Ukulele all the time. it's still one of my favourite Ukes
It's a basic instrument, a starter uke, and looks and sounds good for the price.

I have the paisley kala and its my favourite above all of them. It plays perfectly and is fairly loud. No fret buzz and is an perfect little ukulele.
I have no bad things to say it. It's perfect

I'm with Twistedsoda on this one. Picked up a Paisley one last weekend (my first 'real' starter Uke, before that I was playing on a very basic budget uke). Tonally it was better than any of the other Ukes at my local store in that price range (got it from a store called Akustikken in Aarhus, here in Denmark). Came well set up and with Aquila gut strings already on it. If you're new to Ukes that I think it's great.

I bought a watermelon model last February - at the time, I had a Kala KA-S and a Kala KA-C. I liked the watermelon much better than either of those two, but have bought a few more since then and so don't play the watermelon as much. I bring it out as a "fun uke" on occasion, so it isn't sitting there neglected even though it has plenty of uke company.

Top Bottom