Looking for good deep-sounding electric uke, and also great for singing.

kupo_ukulele

Reaction score
Any idea when the one will be back in stock? Is a cutaway part of the "must have" list? What do you think of an Oscar Schmidt ou-5E ? I have a koa 5E which needs rehomed. It can also come with a red or black MicroCube.

I really like my Mainland for that kinda price range. Mine doesn't have a pickup but they have a tenor with Misi here:
http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=32&categoryId=7
They also have one with a cutaway for a few more bucks. Even though the site says "out of stock" on a lot of things, you just have to email Mike directly to find out what they have.

Last edited:
don't get luna they suck
While everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I don't think your blanket statement is very helpful to the OP in making a decision.

If you have personal experience with Lunas, please elaborate as to why you think they suck. I've seen other posts from people who really like the brand. It's not in the same league as the big "K" brands, but it's also at a completely different price point.

Edit: And if you want a "deep sound," considering going low G with it. :)

Seconded. I have the high tide concert, and I love it. It has a deep, resonant sound that you wouldn't expect from a laminate, is of superb quality for a production uke that was bought from a Guitar Center of all places (and has excellent intonation) and not to mention it's electric capability and unique look. I'm using Martin flourocarbons, by the way.

However, you really can't go wrong with that Kala; a solid cedar top and a tenor size that would give a deeper tone? Definitely a great option. Have you considered the Pono line? From what I've read, they're great ukes quality and sound-wise for the price.

On the other hand, if you favor the unique look of the Luna, they have a tenor high tide model that is made of solid evangkol, which would probably help with the deeper sound, and it being a tenor would help as well. Of course, it's electric, too.

While everyone's entitled to their own opinion, I don't think your blanket statement is very helpful to the OP in making a decision.

If you have personal experience with Lunas, please elaborate as to why you think they suck. I've seen other posts from people who really like the brand. It's not in the same league as the big "K" brands, but it's also at a completely different price point.

Edit: And if you want a "deep sound," considering going low G with it. :)

Last edited:
I third what others say. I have the concert floral. It has electrics, I would say that in the price point it is a good uke. I put martin flourocarbons on mine too. It has a great sound. It has a different feel from the 'tattoo series' as well. It's not a custom, but I do think is a contender in that price range.

On the other hand, if you favor the unique look of the Luna, they have a tenor high tide model that is made of solid evangkol, which would probably help with the deeper sound, and it being a tenor would help as well. Of course, it's electric, too.

That's actually laminated. I've owned one and found the sound to be a little quiet and dull. I would go for the Kala.

That's actually laminated. I've owned one and found the sound to be a little quiet and dull. I would go for the Kala.

Really? Huh. I could've sworn I read the tenor model was solid. Haha. Never mind, then. It's unfortunate that you found it to be dull, my concert koa actually opened up over time, which is surprising for a laminate.

Hey all to anyone who views this thread again. I had decided to get a Pono Acacia Concert ukulele. Idk if the model reads as "AC" but that is what is written inside the sound hole.

Sound is somewhat dull, but perhaps it just needs some mo betta strings. However plucking it sounds amazing.

I'm all for sellers with good setups, bit if you could do some minor setup work "if needed", here's Kala's limited edition laminated acacia bodied, solid cedar topped acoustic electric with a gig bag and clip on tuner for $379 and free shipping from a reputable seller. I got an all solid Kala Mahogany tenor with eq and cutaway for $159 a while back. Arrived in perfect shape and needing no setup work. Oh, and put low g's on it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kala-KA-ATP...927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d4df1d53f

Grab one of these from MIMS and put your own pickup in: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIM-Kala-Te...625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3d39d0d9

Last edited:
Phil, those Kalas are really good looking. I know they're Chinese, but golly, they're usually good players, too. I'm pretty sold on mine, have a cheap KA-C that's never been set up, the C string buzzes a little, but I have no complaints about it. My solid mahogany uke that Mim got me is a keeper....it's had a rough life, but I don't think I'd ever give it up, well not till I leave earth, LOL...

Top Bottom