Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Creek Vintage Tenor Ukulele Case -- Poor Quality

Default Silver Creek Vintage Tenor Ukulele Case -- Poor Quality

Ungood. This item just arrived from Musicians Friend and I'm returning it.
    For $70 it just isn't worth it. The lining isn't properly glued to the interior, the neck support is much too tall, and the body well is much too deep.

I know there are some postings detailing how to fix the neck support issue, but for $70, I don't want to buy a project to work on.

MF customer support was totally positive and offered no hassle, so I salute them for that.
    Me so ho'kie ...
    Poppa lot'ta skittles!

The Silver Creek uke itself is even more abominable than the case, if you imagine that.

I just had a customer send me a Guardian tenor case and it seemed really nice .
    Not sure of the cost but it might worth looking at. Is it for a new Uke you have coming
    Perry Bullinger
    Covered Bridge Ukuleles

Quote Originally Posted by bluesuke View Post
    I just had a customer send me a Guardian tenor case and it seemed really nice .
    Not sure of the cost but it might worth looking at. Is it for a new Uke you have coming
    Bad news brother. Guardian and Silver creek are the same company.
    Ukulele Themed Vinyl Stickers!!
    Ukeeku Etsy Store

Got my tenor and concert for $25 each. Both had minor issues like the neck support and lid alignment but worth $25.
    They'll go on sale occasionally.
    My 4-String Family:
    Kamoa E3 Pineapple Soprano
    Martin S-O (given to my brother for Christmas with the stipulation he learns to play it)
    Early-70s Kamaka Soprano
    KPK Acacia Concert (given to a friend for his birthday because he wanted to learn to play ukulele)
    KPK Deluxe Long Neck Acacia Pineapple Soprano
    Gretsch Concert Resonator
    Lanikai O-8 Spruce/Ovangkol 8 String Tenor
    and various guitars

Quote Originally Posted by ukeeku View Post
    Bad news brother. Guardian and Silver creek are the same company.
    That I did not know I thought they looked the same but most all the cases made In China look the same.
    Perry Bullinger
    Covered Bridge Ukuleles

i agree this very bad product...i have exact same problems..you have to put a piece of cloth to get uke up higher..bad design for ukes..dont buy!!!! bought mine from music 123...

I have the guardian and think it is an excellent case. I got it for less then $50 and it is as high quality as the cases that ship with my Martin Tylor and Larrivee guitars. Arched top and plush lining. I did have to lower the neck rest, which took less the 15 minutes. If you call musician 123 or musicians friend, they can almost always find a way to give you 20% off even when not on sale. I'm not disagreeing with the original assessment. Once you get around $70-$80, you are certainly entitled to more. However, at $45-$50, nothing comes close.
    Last edited by jwieties; 03-29-2012 at 02:37 PM.

jwieties,
    Did you just remove the neck rest, cut it down and put it back in? I have this case in the tenor size.

There are 4 screws on the outside of the case (2 on either side). Ones you remove those, the neck rest block comes right out. It is mostly styrofoam with a very thin piece of wood on either side. Fold bak the lining and cut it down a little less then an inch. Don't tell my wife, but I used our bread knife and it worked like a charm. Tuck the lining under neath and screw it back in place.

Also, the radius was not deep enough for my neck profile on the top part of the rest. Rather then try to peel the lining back and reshape it, I just hammered down the edges a bit. Since its styrofoam, it was very easy to reshape into a deeper neck profile and by looking at it you could not tell that any alterations were made.

Thread Information