Helloooo from California!

Hoppingturtles

Reaction score
Hello all!

Greetings from the usually sunny, currently cloudy, coast of Southern California! I've recently relocated to the west coast from Connecticut, and I've been interested in learning how to play the ukulele for quite a few years.

Here in California I run a hospital program for children, bringing the magic and fun of "camp" to pediatric playrooms in hospitals in Los Angeles, San Diego, and San Francisco. I'd like to add a music element to our "camp" program, and so have decided to learn the ukulele! With some easy percussion instruments for the kids and some great camp songs on the ukulele, I think we'll create some awesome jam sessions in the playrooms... just the kind of fun that these kids need.

Any advice on selecting the best entry-level ukulele (keeping in mind I'm funded on a non-profit organization's budget), beginner's books, and good places to look for ukulele music online would be much appreciated. Thanks UU, I look forward to becoming a part of your community!

Cheers,
Hoppingturtles

Aloha, E Komo Mai to the Ukulele Underground Hoppingturtles!

You've found the best site for all things ukulele! You will learn a lot here and make many friends!

I commend you for the great things you're doing for children in hospitals. That's great that you decided on the ukulele as the instrument of choice for your "Camp" Program.

I would recommend Makala Dolphin ukes for the kids! Keep us updated on how everything turns out!

Aloha,

Kimo

Welcome to the west! And welcome to the UU! I also recommend the Makala Dolphin and Bless you for the work that you are doing!

Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to normally sunny California. Despite the gloom I hope you are also ready for the summer heat.

Your project for children is laudable and I know the joy you derive out of your efforts is priceless. Allow me to wish you success in you chosen endeavor. If I am enjoying my ukulele journey I am sure you will too.

You are in good company in this forum..

fleepod

Welcome to California where the sun always shines .. so they say.

I am also new to the world of ukulele and am enjoying the journey. Currently my favorite stress relief and away from my books, research and writing, the ukulele has allowed me to relax on difficult days.

Allow me to congratulate you for a laudable project you have for children and child will not appreciate...really appreciate learning to play a musical instrument. Good luck and may you succeed in this and other projects you may decide to undertake.

dancingflee

Ditto on the Dolphins, look for someone, even Kala, who will sell them at a deep discount to your non-profit.
Ohana also has a great entry uke at just a few bucks more. Ohana is based in Long Beach and usually works with non-profits.

Beginning books by James Hill are a great learning/teaching resource.

Any advice on selecting the best entry-level ukulele (keeping in mind I'm funded on a non-profit organization's budget), beginner's books, and good places to look for ukulele music online would be much appreciated. Thanks UU, I look forward to becoming a part of your community!

Cheers,
Hoppingturtles

E Komo Mai, Welcome Hopping Turtles!

Welcome to UU and to California! Great idea about using an `ukulele to bring music to kids in hospitals; it's easy to learn simple songs, portable (so you can walk around while playing), affordable and a bright and "happy" instrument.

As far as purchasing your first instrument, I suggest going to a good music store near you that seriously carries `ukuleles and explain what you want and why. They can probably recommend a suitable starter instrument and you will build a relationship with them that may help you later with other information like how to restring or local `ukulele groups.

Also, there are many websites with songs and chords available to start you off. Remember, most songs noted with guitar chords can be used for `ukulele (just different fingerings).

Good luck and don't be afraid to come back with any questions, comments or videos!

Top Bottom