You Won't Believe Why I Have to Return My New Martin Uke

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukuraleigh

Reaction score
Take a look at the new Martin S1 I was so excited to receive. Can you spot why I have to return it to Elderly?

Screen shot 2012-03-31 at 7.29.56 PM.jpg

In case you didn't notice, I will put you out of your misery. There is no "E" in "Est. 1833"

I didn't immediately notice, but now I'm left feeling that the Mexico made ukuleles are inferior to those made in the US.

I mean, how did Martin's quality control &/or Elderly miss this?

I'm hoping Elderly will pay for the shipping to return this, but now I'm not sure if I want my money back or a replacement.

Is this just an unfortunate isolated incident, or has anyone had a similar experience? If isolated, I'll put it down to bad luck and get a replacement.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1020761.jpg
    P1020761.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 59
To me it is a tiny decoration flaw.
Missing a E word won't hurt the playability, and in fact I won't even notice because it is so small on the headstock. Unless you have any physical problem to get the sound/play right from the instrument, I would say keep it. Or you are wasting time to enjoy it, and you also run the risk to "WHAT IF" the new Martin uke you'll get in next, doesn't sound as great as this one?

To me it is a tiny decoration flaw.
Missing a E word won't hurt the playability, and in fact I won't even notice because it is so small on the headstock. Unless you have any physical problem to get the sound/play right from the instrument, I would say keep it. Or you are wasting time to enjoy it, and you also run the risk to "WHAT IF" the new Martin uke you'll get in next, doesn't sound as great as this one?

That's a fair point, but if you pay for the Martin brand, shouldn't you expect to have 100% of the brand. Not just the headstock logo, but the quality.

I sympathise. Even though just a cosmetic flaw it would still irritate me.

That's really disappointing! Commiserations.......

I sympathise. Even though just a cosmetic flaw it would still irritate me.

Thanks! I'm glad I'm not over-reacting. I thought long and hard about this purchase and wanted a Martin mostly because of their great reputation of building solid ukuleles, so even a small flaw is crushing. I'm hoping either Martin or Elderly will do the right thing.

I wouldn't take it back for the missing "e" - but... I would on principle if the people you bought it from actually mis-strung the two outer strings that way! The "g" & the "A" should be strung with the string coming from the inside of the tuner like the other two are. It keeps the string angle breaking over the nut correctly.

I wouldn't take it back for the missing "e" - but... I would on principle if the people you bought it from actually mis-strung the two outer strings that way! The "g" & the "A" should be strung with the string coming from the inside of the tuner like the other two are. It keeps the string angle breaking over the nut correctly.

Funny you should notice that. I started tuning the ukulele and it freaked me out that it was different to all of my others. I thought perhaps I was either stringing my ukes wrong or it was a "Martin" thing.

According to an image on the Martin Guitar web site, that's how they string their ukuleles, I guess.

2-Uke_h.jpg

That would irritate the heck out of me. I would definitely send it back. Elderly is a great company I think they will probably let you exchange or return it.

According to an image on the Martin Guitar web site, that's how they string their ukuleles, I guess.

View attachment 35741

That's pretty odd. If you look at a few of the other models, some are strung correctly & a few like yours. But... it will take some getting used to if you ever get another one. Elderly is a good vendor though, so it shouldn't be a problem exchanging it.

That's pretty odd. If you look at a few of the other models, some are strung correctly & a few like yours. But... it will take some getting used to if you ever get another one. Elderly is a good vendor though, so it shouldn't be a problem exchanging it.

The tenors and concerts are strung inside the post, but the 5K soprano photo on the Martin website shows the g and A strings wound outside the post and the 5K is definitely not a Mexican factory ukulele. It would be interesting to hear from someone who knows why the sopranos are strung that way.

_v_ryon_ would sur_ly miss th_ _!

I would be totally annoyed by that! So, so annoyed. But if I liked the sound and feel of the uke a lot, rather than send it back I would ask Elderly for a significant price adjustment. I don't know how it goes with Martins, but with the ukes I'm accustomed to (Kamaka, Koaloha, Kiwaya) I've found that when I get the chance to try several of the same model, one always stands out as best to me. So if you exchange it for another, you may not like it as much.

I would be totally annoyed by that! So, so annoyed. But if I liked the sound and feel of the uke a lot, rather than send it back I would ask Elderly for a significant price adjustment. I don't know how it goes with Martins, but with the ukes I'm accustomed to (Kamaka, Koaloha, Kiwaya) I've found that when I get the chance to try several of the same model, one always stands out as best to me. So if you exchange it for another, you may not like it as much.

Thats a good point. I may discuss a partial refund with Elderly. It would save on the hassle (and their expense) of shipping this one back and shipping a new one--and not knowing what I'll get next.

I'm sorry but that really unevenly colored fretboard bothers me even more than the missing "E." In fact, I read the first line of your post and immediately assumed the light streak in the fretboard was your issue with the uke. I didn't notice the missing E until I read the rest of your post.

As far as I'm concerned either the missing "E" or the poor selection of fretboard wood is reason enough to return it - I guess Martin just ain't what it used to be.

Another thing to consider is that if you decide to sell the uke later someone may assume it's a bad fake because of that missing E...

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom