Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best sounding ukulele

Default Best sounding ukulele

Not to open a huge can of worms, but what is the best sounding ukulele you have ever heard? I ask because I am looking for an absolutely amazing uke.

I recently had the chance to play a Pepe Ukulele and a couple Tony Grazianos. The Steve Van Pelt that MGM showed looked and sounded amazing, though I have never seen it in person. My dream uke is a Moore Bettah, but I have never seen one in person, either. Then there is also the vintage Martin 5K that demands a fortune. Also, there are many other ukes out there- Collins, Compass Rose, all of the Ks, etc..

So, what sounds best, or at least the best you have heard?
    Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best. -- Henry Van Dyke

Such a subjective question. I don't know if anyone can really answer it. Of the ones I have played or owned including the kala acacia and couple major k brands, I honestly like my mahogany mainland tenor best. Followed by my Ohana solid zebrawood soprano. Many will say I'm nuts, like I said, very subjective. Happy hunting
    Kala KA-ASLAT - Worth CT
    Lanikai LQA-TCA - Worth CT
    Ohana CK-50GS - Worth BM
    Ohana CK-75GS - Worth BM
    1952 Harmony Soprano
    Luna TTN-MAH - Worth BT
    Eleuke FTCJ100 - Worth CT
    Makai TK-65 - Aquila
    Ohana SK-25Z - Worth CM

Philippians 4:11

All the ones you mention sound good. Moore Bettah, Martin, Santa Cruz and Collings are outstanding to my ear. The Blackbird CF also sounds good. Unfortunately, I could probably add a few more names, which doesn't narrow anything down very much. I usually like an instrument that sounds and feels good. Moore Bettahs are hard to beat on that count.
    Blessings,
    garyj

Life for dummies: Be Good, Be Nice and Be Happy.
    My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1729306413
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/gwjefferson?feature=mhee

best advice: play them first. The first time I played a compass rose......I was hooked. Now, I have one.

My ohana CK 20S...it sounds realy great !even better than some koa uku...

Best I've heard in the flesh was a solid-wood concert-size ukulele from Uke of Northumberland. It was made of century-old birdseye maple and oregan pine. Incredible sound.
    I haven't had the chance to try some of the other high-end ukes like Mya-Moe etc, but I'm sure they all sound amazing at this level.

I think I am being a bit biased here, but I have to say... KAMAKA!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL jk but its all personal preference and what sounds good to your ears. No two ukes are the same, even from the same brand, so just try them all, experiment, and see which one suites you best. What sound good to one ear/person may not sound as good to another...
    Chee Pono!!!

Hippie Dribble Guest

Two stand out to me. A Mya-Moe soprano made from mango wood is the sweetest sounding uke of that scale I ever heard. The other, a Collings UC2, mahogany body with adirondack spruce top. Unbelievable rich and full tone, so loud and yet so warm with the most incredible sustain.

I would have to go with my '64 Guild Baritone. The tone of this solid mahogany ukulele is wonderful. Nicely balanced, with great mellow body. Perfect for Jazz standards. Hard to find but worth it if you do.
    Mike Kaplan

The Velvet Sirens
    Unique & Traditional Vocal Jazz and Swing
    http://www.thevelvetsirens.com

"To this day, if I ever meet grownups who play ukulele, I love 'em." --Paul McCartney

San Jose, California via `Ewa Beach, O`ahu, Hawai`i

and it looks cool too.

200 years of Unification. 117 years of ILLEGAL OCCUPATION.

Thread Information