Best sounding ukulele

Martin sopranos, hands down. I played a 20's Style 2 that was ridiculously good. My wife was with me in the shop, and when I played it even her jaw dropped - rich, resonant, loud. I have a few Martins that are almost as good as that one was. Sadly, the ukulele was about twice the price of the same model and vintage ones available at other stores, even though it had a replacement bridge. I walked away and continue to regret it.

There ain't no such animal.

This soprano is my "best-sounding uke", in that its sound grabs everyone who hears it - louder than some Martins I've heard, balanced sound, rings like a bell. Made it myself, a 4-piece yew top and mahogany sides.

Yew Top 1890s (front).JPG

But it's only the best for some songs. For others the cherry soprano I made to the same plan, or my Kumalae, sound better. Sometimes only a banjo uke will do.

That's why we all have lots of ukes.

That is the coolest looking body shape - the headstock is fun too.

I typed out this huge thing only for the forum to lose the post with a "Page expired" error, and the back button just went back to the thread and not the post! :mad:

The short version:

G String concert - sounds exactly like the benchmark of how a uke should sound

Kanilea superconcert - similar but different. The world's best intonation, just in all ways supberb if you like a deeper voice that still has all the range in the treble.

Koaloha concert - different but different... and also perfect. The previous two ukes have an earthy tone, while the Koaloha is more in the sky. It's even more bell like. I had two sopranos and thought they'd be the same sorta. Well no, they're the same but epic.

Honorable mention goes to my old MP Concert, and a Boat Paddle Kayak tenor I briefly played once. The Kayak body shape was cumbersome, but it the sound and feel of everything else about it would put the M-style on a short list of tenors I want.

Best-sounding ukes I've played that leap to mind, in no particular order:

* Kamaka HF-1 (I've had mine for a year or so---just sounds better and better with each passing month.)
* vintage Martin style 0 and style 1 sopranos ukes (The classics.)
* KoAloha Pineapple (Sweet and mellow. Great, easy player, too.)
* Collings UC-1 (The local dealer retired and closed up shop, leaving me bereft.)

You guys are all wrong! It's clear from reading the posts on here that the best sounding ukulele is always the one you just bought. ;)

So true but that's the fun part of UAS...surely there can't be a better uke out there but need to check :p

My Kamaka concert ;) It's a tie actually. a... 20s(??)Gibson Style 3, and a brand new Collings tenor I played. Those are definitely my favorite.

Its a Mya-Moe Brazilian body with Port Oxford Cedar top tied with KoAloha tenor for me.

My husband's. It was a gift from me. If I didn't struggle so much with the tenor scale I would probably try to weasel it away from him. ;)

collings_uc2_pkg_1.jpg

I just bought this one from the Twelfth Fret, in Toronto. It sounds pretty darned good,...

I hope my picture attaches itself to this post, but if it doesn't, and you just have to imagine what it looks like,..... it is a Collings UC-2 in mahogany.

Leigh

View attachment 35839

I just bought this one from the Twelfth Fret, in Toronto. It sounds pretty darned good,...

I hope my picture attaches itself to this post, but if it doesn't, and you just have to imagine what it looks like,..... it is a Collings UC-2 in mahogany.

Leigh

Same kind I played I believe. Gorgeous instrument. I would have snapped it up in a heartbeat if I had the funds available.

It's a toss-up.
Whatever that is that James Hill plays now, and my friend Steve Boisen's LoPrinzi...

You guys are all wrong! It's clear from reading the posts on here that the best sounding ukulele is always the one you just bought. ;)

Well, maybe the one that you're about to buy, or wish that you could afford...

What I loved about the KoAloha Sceptre is, how wonderful it was, but it was twice was I had budgeted.

The next day, my wife told me that we were going back, and I was buying it. Not "You should think about that ukulele again"- she said "Call them up and have them hold it for you - we're going back and getting it."

And people wonder why I support my wife's knitting habit...

-Kurt​

A little while back I was in a local guitar store and they had a mahogany tenor by Gordy Bischoff that was one of the most amazing sounding and playing instruments I've ever held in my hands. (If I'd had any money to my name...) I've since gone there and noodled about on a couple more of his ukes and they are very very nice quality wonderful sounding instruments, but that mahogany one was something extra special. The planets aligned for that one in a special way. Someone with deeper pockets than I is a very lucky person.

Really really love the tone and the playability of the Breedlove American Tenor: Beautiful to look at and it feels like silk...The Worth Strings really make this solid mahogany uke sing like the angels...
American-Tenor-Uke-Turned21.jpg

Does best sounding uke means expensive?

No, but best sounding typically means good wood choice and quality craftsmanship. Those two factors usually mean expensive. The stars may align on a Makala, but I doubt it.

My Sailor Brand Ukulele Company Maple Tenor . You'd be impressed . BEST bang for your buck on the market . American all hand luthier bulit .

100__800x663_.jpg093__328x800_.jpg
094__295x800_.jpg095.jpg

Top Bottom