Best sounding ukulele

My unbiased opinion would be that Steve van Pelt uke that Tigeralum mentioned in the OP. Seriously, though, for me, its always been the one that got away.

Steve

No, but best sounding typically means good wood choice and quality craftsmanship. Those two factors usually mean expensive. The stars may align on a Makala, but I doubt it.
good wood and quality = sound good = expensive. and for me expensive means above $500

I think as far as ukes we listen to rather than play, alot has to do with the technique of the player. I've heard a guy play a $30 Rogue bari and its sounded amazing, yet I also heard somebody clumsily strumming a collings and, well not so good.(sounded like me lol) The nicest I've played myself were a vintage martin 3K which had genuine gut strings, it sounded amazing! God I wanted that uke! For me, currently, production ukes - Koaloha. Custom - devine ukuleles. Paul and the guys at Koaloha make quality instruments with a sound all of their own. Eric devine makes the nicest and most balanced sounding ukes I've ever heard (although I have mainly heard them played by kimo hussey and Tyler Gilman lol)

Martin sopranos, hands down. I played a 20's Style 2 that was ridiculously good. My wife was with me in the shop, and when I played it even her jaw dropped - rich, resonant, loud.

To my ear, it's the old Martins as well.

One instrument you nominated at the top of the thread was the Martin 5K. I will wager that with your eyes closed, a Martin Style 0, 1, 2 or 3 will sound just as good. Individual ukes even from the same shop sound slightly different, but with a Style 0 sounding about as good as a Style 5, I'd say that Martin Style 0's represent the best value in Martin vintage ukes. And since money is usually an object, the Style 0 wins the comparison hands down. :)

To my ear, vintage Gibson ukes also sound fantastic and they're cheaper than Martins, different, but also great. In new ukes: Ohana, Mya Moe and Kiwaya to me all sound fantastic.

I haven't found my holy grail as of yet...Gone through many many ukes...Yes there will always be a better uke...but as you try to top the previous best ones...it gets harder and takes more time
as time goes by...
But having the time of my life trying all that I can get my hands on...whether it's buying or testing them....Happy Strummings..

My Sailor Brand Ukulele Company Maple Tenor . You'd be impressed . BEST bang for your buck on the market . American all hand luthier built.
I love my 6 string Sailor Brand, best sounding ukulele I have ever played. I also loved a cedar topped Sailor soprano, definitely on my list. Also Mim had a Kala Lacewood that just blew me away, I was very surprised.

Last edited:
best advice: play them first. The first time I played a compass rose......I was hooked. Now, I have one.

yeh i got one on order now rick very nice guy and he loves and plays ukes too...i have a all koa c model..it is going to take a while but it will be worth it..have you seen the new compass rose walnut on gryphons website...unreal!!!!

Two of the best I have ever heard are J. Walter Hawkes' vintage Martin soprano and the new Mike DaSilva James Hill model. (In James' hands, of course.)
Two of the best I have ever played are my Glyph custom tenor and my KoAloha long neck soprano.

Vintage Martin 3M, have not found one that sounds that good yet.
Koaloha Concert was a close second, and if I could play one around here and find that sound- it would be mine.
Mya Moe tenor (spruce top, mahog sides I think I recall) was pretty darn close too, but that fretboard made me pure more than the tone

Dave -

Matt Umanov has a perfect, like-new, Style 3 from the early 30s at retail for less than $2,900, which is rare. I played it with him for about an hour and I've never enjoyed playing a uke more. The only thing preventing me from getting it was $2,900 - or rather, the absence of it. :)

You can probably buy it from their website. I wish someone would, because I'm getting sad playing it every time I walk in and knowing I'm not walking out with it. :D

Dave -

Matt Umanov has a perfect, like-new, Style 3 from the early 30s at retail for less than $2,900, which is rare. I played it with him for about an hour and I've never enjoyed playing a uke more. The only thing preventing me from getting it was $2,900 - or rather, the absence of it. :)

You can probably buy it from their website. I wish someone would, because I'm getting sad playing it every time I walk in and knowing I'm not walking out with it. :D

You now have 400 more reasons to buy it :)

http://www.umanovguitars.com/store/details.asp?prodid=4574&cat=650&path=600,650

Top Bottom