Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best sounding ukulele

Martin sopranos, hands down. I played a 20's Style 2 that was ridiculously good. My wife was with me in the shop, and when I played it even her jaw dropped - rich, resonant, loud. I have a few Martins that are almost as good as that one was. Sadly, the ukulele was about twice the price of the same model and vintage ones available at other stores, even though it had a replacement bridge. I walked away and continue to regret it.

There ain't no such animal.

This soprano is my "best-sounding uke", in that its sound grabs everyone who hears it - louder than some Martins I've heard, balanced sound, rings like a bell. Made it myself, a 4-piece yew top and mahogany sides.

Yew Top 1890s (front).JPG

But it's only the best for some songs. For others the cherry soprano I made to the same plan, or my Kumalae, sound better. Sometimes only a banjo uke will do.

That's why we all have lots of ukes.

That is the coolest looking body shape - the headstock is fun too.
    Angus

What the heart knows today the head will understand tomorrow.

- James Stephens, from The Crock of Gold

I typed out this huge thing only for the forum to lose the post with a "Page expired" error, and the back button just went back to the thread and not the post!

The short version:

G String concert - sounds exactly like the benchmark of how a uke should sound

Kanilea superconcert - similar but different. The world's best intonation, just in all ways supberb if you like a deeper voice that still has all the range in the treble.

Koaloha concert - different but different... and also perfect. The previous two ukes have an earthy tone, while the Koaloha is more in the sky. It's even more bell like. I had two sopranos and thought they'd be the same sorta. Well no, they're the same but epic.

Honorable mention goes to my old MP Concert, and a Boat Paddle Kayak tenor I briefly played once. The Kayak body shape was cumbersome, but it the sound and feel of everything else about it would put the M-style on a short list of tenors I want.

Kanile'a dlx super concert / Koaloha concert / Ohana sk-38 / Risa Uke Solid Tenor

@Apollostowel @RockingDodars The Rocking Dodar Blog Proud to be TIGER. A REAL Tiger. All-in all the freakin' time.

If you need me I'll be on twitter, google+ or r/ukulele

Best-sounding ukes I've played that leap to mind, in no particular order:

* Kamaka HF-1 (I've had mine for a year or so---just sounds better and better with each passing month.)
    * vintage Martin style 0 and style 1 sopranos ukes (The classics.)
    * KoAloha Pineapple (Sweet and mellow. Great, easy player, too.)
    * Collings UC-1 (The local dealer retired and closed up shop, leaving me bereft.)
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzukes! View Post
    You guys are all wrong! It's clear from reading the posts on here that the best sounding ukulele is always the one you just bought.
    So true but that's the fun part of UAS...surely there can't be a better uke out there but need to check

My Kamaka concert It's a tie actually. a... 20s(??)Gibson Style 3, and a brand new Collings tenor I played. Those are definitely my favorite.
    A ukulele pickin' dreamer and disturber of the peace.

Its a Mya-Moe Brazilian body with Port Oxford Cedar top tied with KoAloha tenor for me.

My husband's. It was a gift from me. If I didn't struggle so much with the tenor scale I would probably try to weasel it away from him.

collings_uc2_pkg_1.jpg

I just bought this one from the Twelfth Fret, in Toronto. It sounds pretty darned good,...

I hope my picture attaches itself to this post, but if it doesn't, and you just have to imagine what it looks like,..... it is a Collings UC-2 in mahogany.

Leigh

Thread Information