Big Island Keli'i Pono Kala - new tenor uke!

thebryansim

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm thinking of getting a tenor uke. I'm new to the uke but I've been playing guitar for 4-5 years.

Just wondering which of these would you recommend and why. Feel free to suggest any other ukes in the same price range and if you can, a supplier as well (hopefully cheap and well set up).
I live in Melbourne, Australia and I'll probably need to get an international shipping!

Ukes are:
1. Big Island Honu Koa Tenor (KT-KR)
2. Keli'i Koa Tenor
3. Pono ATD (Solid Acacia)
4. Kala Solid Acacia Tenor - this is probably the cheapest

I'm looking for great construction (the last thing I want to do is to return and ship overseas), warm but clear sound (not muddy), not too concerned about looks. :)
I'm willing to spend an extra 100-200 dollars if it's worth it. Price range is around the $300-500.

Cheers!

Last edited:
My two cents, and take them at even less value than that would be to consider the ukes in the same order you have them, or maybe switch #1 and 2.

Basically, the Big Island and the Kelii will both be koa, which has a better look, feel, and sound than acacia (at least in my opinion). Out of the four, I believe the Kelii is actually made in Hawai'i, while the other three are Asian made. Even so, both the Big Island and Pono have very good QA associated with them, so their materials and construction should be quite reliable.

Of the four, I'd basically toss out the Kala. Yeah, that slotted headstock looks really pretty, but Kala can be hit or miss - at least more so than Pono, Kelii, or Big Island.

Again, take this with a lot of skepticism, but I'd consider the first two before the Pono, and all three way before the Kala.

Best of luck!

I agree with PoiDog. Kala makes some good ukes, but there's a lot of variability within each model. I managed to luck out in mine, I think.

Be aware that the Big Island ukes, although they sound very nice, aren't terribly loud—something which a lot of uke players seem to have issues with (I call it "volume envy").

Kelii not true Hawaiian is it??

My two cents, and take them at even less value than that would be to consider the ukes in the same order you have them, or maybe switch #1 and 2.

Basically, the Big Island and the Kelii will both be koa, which has a better look, feel, and sound than acacia (at least in my opinion). Out of the four, I believe the Kelii is actually made in Hawai'i, while the other three are Asian made. Even so, both the Big Island and Pono have very good QA associated with them, so their materials and construction should be quite reliable.

Of the four, I'd basically toss out the Kala. Yeah, that slotted headstock looks really pretty, but Kala can be hit or miss - at least more so than Pono, Kelii, or Big Island.

Again, take this with a lot of skepticism, but I'd consider the first two before the Pono, and all three way before the Kala.

Best of luck!

First off, great ukes, and I'm sure whichever you got by now, hope you're enjoying! Good advice, but know Pono lovers who think they're great too...get whichever sings to you!

Been reading great info on this forum a while - just getting more serious with my ukes, and wanted to become more involved. This remark about Hawaiian vs China is a pet peeve of mine having been a watch collector for decades, and seeing what China's cheap labor and gov't purchased manufacuring equipment did to that industry...

Clarification is needed in this industry it seems as it's growing so quickly again. Almost bought a Kelii til I read they are not 'true' Hawaiian (like the Koalohas, etc), and like this post, wondering if many folks are buying thinking they are.

Koa wood's great and no doubt a fine Uke...but at least brands like Pono (ordering one shortly) make it well known they are just finished up in Hawaii, from a fine company, and priced accordingly.

Too much 'gray' area - getting like the Swiss Watch industry with their 51% Swis Made rule loopholes which created misinformation in their industry (with China's replica/counterfeit and labor law disregard).

Just think any brand made in China, with all the new brands popping up, even partially, should be clearly stated. JMHO.

Either way - enjoy whichever you get( or got as this is an old thread)!

Last edited:
I own the Kala and have played the Pono so can give you that comparison

Here is my view of the Kala - http://www.gotaukulele.com/2013/01/kala-ka-asac-tec-electro-tenor-ukulele.html

The Pono to me felt somewhat better made - more of a ukulele makers uke if you see what I mean - Kala seemed to 'factory' - that finish looks artificial. As you will see I also got a mis placed tuner on it.

That said, sound wise - the Kala is spot on and very little between it and the Pono IMHO. I'd say if you can inspect them yourself before buying, go with the one that looks better to you (assuming the fit and setup on both are good).

Top Bottom