Something VERY special - thought I'd share

UK Paulie

Reaction score
Ok so a short while ago I got in touch with a builder here in the UK and asked him to build me a ukulele! I just thought I'd share it's progress and my utter excitement and anticipation with you fine folks! So what I have so far is the pics he has sent to me, beginning with just raw woods and continuing on to...well, see for yourselves..More to come!!
macassar ebony.jpglovely cedar top.jpgshes coming on!!.jpg

Ok, I'm not sure if they all uploaded, should be 5. If not, more to come sooner than I first thought lol

Have they stuff the kerfing in the wrong way around??

Look at the grain on that cedar -- it's going to sound oh so sweet!

Congrats. Who's the builder?

Cheers for the comments guys. Builder is Marshall Stapleton, former and founding member of the 'ukulele orchestra of Great Britain'. He started about 30 years ago because they all had cheap crappy ukes and couldn't afford expensive ones!! lol His ukes sound amazing and hes a top bloke!

Thanks buddy. Macassar Ebony..It looks kinda brown to me though. I thought ebony was always black-ish.

The ebony used for fingerboards and stuff is black, Macassar can vary in colour. Alot of macassar is kinda brownish, I love it!! Looks like milk and white chocolate! Good enough to eat!! But I wont...I think I'll play it instead.

That's a great looking set of Macassar ebony! I'm a big fan of this look and your uke should look great.

Have they stuff the kerfing in the wrong way around??

I think that's called "reverse kerfing". I know Kanile'a does it that way. I don't know what advantage, if any, it has over the traditional kerfing, but everyone has their own way and reasoning of doing things.

This is going to be a great uke! I love your choice of woods---the macassar will look fantastic. How great it's made by a UOGB member/luthier.

You will love, love, love it! Happy days ahead!

That's a great looking set of Macassar ebony! I'm a big fan of this look and your uke should look great.

I think that's called "reverse kerfing". I know Kanile'a does it that way. I don't know what advantage, if any, it has over the traditional kerfing, but everyone has their own way and reasoning of doing things.

Thanks George, he sent me a pic of a cuatro he made for someone with the same macassar and it really does look great! I'm hoping it has a voice to match its looks! lol

I've never seen that before but after seeing that photo I can think of one huge advantage right off - great strength while remaining flexible. Typical kerfing is from one piece of slotted wood and the non-slotted side is glued to the side of the instrument. The non-slotted part has to be fairly thick to keep the "kerfs" from simply breaking off (in which case they are no longer attached to the side).

With the kerfing this way around the "kerfs" are glued directly to the side and the non-slotted part can be very thin and flexible because it's not structurally significant. In fact, the non-slotted part could be a paper backing (although in that case the kerfing might have to be replaced if the top was steamed off for a repair).

That seems like a really cool approach - both stronger and easier - I wonder why more builders haven't thought of it?

John

I've never seen that before but after seeing that photo I can think of one huge advantage right off - great strength while remaining flexible. Typical kerfing is from one piece of slotted wood and the non-slotted side is glued to the side of the instrument. The non-slotted part has to be fairly thick to keep the "kerfs" from simply breaking off (in which case they are no longer attached to the side).

With the kerfing this way around the "kerfs" are glued directly to the side and the non-slotted part can be very thin and flexible because it's not structurally significant. In fact, the non-slotted part could be a paper backing (although in that case the kerfing might have to be replaced if the top was steamed off for a repair).

That seems like a really cool approach - both stronger and easier - I wonder why more builders haven't thought of it?

John

Thanks for that John, you put it way better than I can. I trust Marshall's judgement anyway, if he does something its for a reason and its probably like you said. He's been building uke's almost as long as I've been on the planet so I'll just shut up and say "thanks" lol Really appreciate everyone's comments by the way. Thanks guys

Last edited:
Sweet and unique wood combinations. That Cedar has beautiful tight grain:) This is will definitely be a show stopper with a low G. I bet your super stoked and now have to endure several weeks of waiting... But if you ask me, that the funnest part! Look forward to seeing and someday hearing the progress. Boy, I can't get over that Cedar...

Sweet and unique wood combinations. That Cedar has beautiful tight grain:) This is will definitely be a show stopper with a low G. I bet your super stoked and now have to endure several weeks of waiting... But if you ask me, that the funnest part! Look forward to seeing and someday hearing the progress. Boy, I can't get over that Cedar...

Thanks mate, yeah I'm really excited! I'm loving the cedar too, a one piece top too!! Cant wait!!

Dont think so buddy, he's been making ukulele's for 30 odd years so if he did, it would be an easily rectifiable surprise lol

he's using a reversed-kerfing. much more stable than the normal ones. less flimsy andf makes for a very sturdy sides. yeah he knows what hes doing

Top Bottom