Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something VERY special - thought I'd share

That's a great looking set of Macassar ebony! I'm a big fan of this look and your uke should look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    Have they stuff the kerfing in the wrong way around??
    I think that's called "reverse kerfing". I know Kanile'a does it that way. I don't know what advantage, if any, it has over the traditional kerfing, but everyone has their own way and reasoning of doing things.
    Visit the ukulele ghetto

Too many ukes!: W. King ls-tenor; W. King ls-concert; Kamaka tenor; Koa Works tenor; KoAloha Pineapple Sunday; Dasilva Santo repro; Aaron Taylor tenor; Kiwaya KTS-7; Kanile'a custom SS; Kepasa Gypsy Rose; Bluegrass cigar box tenor; Collings UC-1; Bushman cedartone baritone; Glyph Mezzo Soprano "Mini-Jake"; Kala acacia pocket; Mya-Moe Concert Tradition; Epiphone Les Paul; Martin C1K

This is going to be a great uke! I love your choice of woods---the macassar will look fantastic. How great it's made by a UOGB member/luthier.

You will love, love, love it! Happy days ahead!
    ~Ginny

Leave every place better than you found it.

Quote Originally Posted by GX9901 View Post
    That's a great looking set of Macassar ebony! I'm a big fan of this look and your uke should look great.

I think that's called "reverse kerfing". I know Kanile'a does it that way. I don't know what advantage, if any, it has over the traditional kerfing, but everyone has their own way and reasoning of doing things.
    Thanks George, he sent me a pic of a cuatro he made for someone with the same macassar and it really does look great! I'm hoping it has a voice to match its looks! lol

Quote Originally Posted by GX9901 View Post
    I've never seen that before but after seeing that photo I can think of one huge advantage right off - great strength while remaining flexible. Typical kerfing is from one piece of slotted wood and the non-slotted side is glued to the side of the instrument. The non-slotted part has to be fairly thick to keep the "kerfs" from simply breaking off (in which case they are no longer attached to the side).

With the kerfing this way around the "kerfs" are glued directly to the side and the non-slotted part can be very thin and flexible because it's not structurally significant. In fact, the non-slotted part could be a paper backing (although in that case the kerfing might have to be replaced if the top was steamed off for a repair).

That seems like a really cool approach - both stronger and easier - I wonder why more builders haven't thought of it?

John
    I'm not entirely convinced that it is possible to polish a turd. However, if one were to accomplish that feat one would still have a turd, and one all the more noticeable for being shiny.

Check out my ukulele-themed "stuff" at http://www.cafepress.com/fivebyfiveukulele - proceeds go to a good cause...UAS treatment!

Quote Originally Posted by OldePhart View Post
    I've never seen that before but after seeing that photo I can think of one huge advantage right off - great strength while remaining flexible. Typical kerfing is from one piece of slotted wood and the non-slotted side is glued to the side of the instrument. The non-slotted part has to be fairly thick to keep the "kerfs" from simply breaking off (in which case they are no longer attached to the side).

With the kerfing this way around the "kerfs" are glued directly to the side and the non-slotted part can be very thin and flexible because it's not structurally significant. In fact, the non-slotted part could be a paper backing (although in that case the kerfing might have to be replaced if the top was steamed off for a repair).

That seems like a really cool approach - both stronger and easier - I wonder why more builders haven't thought of it?

John
    Thanks for that John, you put it way better than I can. I trust Marshall's judgement anyway, if he does something its for a reason and its probably like you said. He's been building uke's almost as long as I've been on the planet so I'll just shut up and say "thanks" lol Really appreciate everyone's comments by the way. Thanks guys
    Last edited by UK Paulie; 04-04-2012 at 07:09 AM. Reason: spelling, it bugs me...

I think I found his website, just click on the Ukulele and it shows a gallery of some of his work.
    http://www.wix.com/marshallstapleton/guitars#!guitars

Sweet and unique wood combinations. That Cedar has beautiful tight grain This is will definitely be a show stopper with a low G. I bet your super stoked and now have to endure several weeks of waiting... But if you ask me, that the funnest part! Look forward to seeing and someday hearing the progress. Boy, I can't get over that Cedar...

Quote Originally Posted by keliiyama View Post
    Sweet and unique wood combinations. That Cedar has beautiful tight grain This is will definitely be a show stopper with a low G. I bet your super stoked and now have to endure several weeks of waiting... But if you ask me, that the funnest part! Look forward to seeing and someday hearing the progress. Boy, I can't get over that Cedar...
    Thanks mate, yeah I'm really excited! I'm loving the cedar too, a one piece top too!! Cant wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by UK Paulie View Post
    Thanks mate, yeah I'm really excited! I'm loving the cedar too, a one piece top too!! Cant wait!!
    How come you are so excited over a one piece top?

Quote Originally Posted by UK Paulie View Post
    Dont think so buddy, he's been making ukulele's for 30 odd years so if he did, it would be an easily rectifiable surprise lol
    he's using a reversed-kerfing. much more stable than the normal ones. less flimsy andf makes for a very sturdy sides. yeah he knows what hes doing

Thread Information